Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
october

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: What to do... Reply with quote

Hi there,
First i must say that i was very much impressed from the knowledge written by glenski (?) wow! and then i though that maybe i can benefit as well.
so, here it goes. i am an american born Israeli and have been teaching EFL for 6 years (k12), only recently to discover that this work that i love is so broad and international. Every year i go through this battle with myself, if i should try to teach in the states, since i have a family here and there, that would be the sensible destination for us.
I really want to try this, i'm not getting any younger (boo-hoo) and would like some advice on the following:
Which states need the most EFL teachers? (I'm thinking Florida)
Should i get my MA at home or in the states? (I am actually starting my MA this year...)
If i do my MA here will i have a better chance?
i really am curious and have millions of questions (i'm a woman, i'm entiltled...)
thanks for any help and advice you can give.
Razz
Corey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would say either Cali, Texas or Florida need ESL teachers. US is good but won't really be a cultural experience for you if you're looking for something different. (I assume you have been there before).

An MA from the US might be viewed more kindly in certain countries but I don't have any specifics on this.

Good luck,

Corey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
october

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks corey.
Actually, i'm looking for a change for myself, rather than a cultural experience, and since my children have never been to the states yet, this will be a cultural experience for them althought they are familiar with the language and it will be easier for them, that is something that is very important to me. I was in cultural shock when my parents brought me to Israel!! (i still am...)
thanks again for the advice.
Very Happy [/quote]
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

October,
I think if you plan on working in the States, it would be better to get your MA there, instead of Israel. It will be held in higher esteem.
If your intention is to be a high school teacher, an MA is not necessary, you would need an Education degree which you probably already have. I recommend looking directly at each state's requirements for public school teachers.

As a minor note, you'd be an ESL teacher in the States, not EFL.
october

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon, thanks for you opinion.
I don't understand why I would be an ESL teacher? If i were to teach immagrants (for example) this would be a second language to them?
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, teaching English to new immigrants in the US is ESL. English would be their second language and English is the predominant language in the US. If you teach English in Mexico (for example) you are an EFL teacher because English is a foreign language to them.
EFL or ESL depends on the locality of where you are teaching.
october

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that EFL or ESL depended on the population being taught the language.
Embarassed
So, if i have been teaching Israelis English for 6 years teacher, which is EFL, will I be able to find jobs as an ESL teacher in the states? would i need any other qualifications? (I have a BE.d and 2 teaching certificates and I'm sure it changes from state to state...). I would probably have to get in touch with teaching supervisors from different states as well???
thanks for your advice.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: All 50 Reply with quote

Dear october,
To teach ESL in the USA in public schools, you'll need to be certified. Here's a site that covers the certification requirements in all 50 states:

http://www.uky.edu/Education/TEP/usacert.html

Hope this helps.
Regards,
John
Jess_Laoshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Texas, and my roomate last year taught ESL here.

She had a degree in environmental studies, which was about as far from ESL as you can get. What they made her do was take extra college classes while teaching in order to fulfill her requirements to be a certified teacher. Since Texas has a huge shortage of teachers, they are more flexible than some states might be about working with you on the certification. The demand for ESL teachers here is extremely high. With your qualifications, I doubt you'd have much trouble finding work here.

Texas is also one of the states in the US that does have something of a local culture. That local culture can be at times offensive and close-minded, but there are also some really interesting, unique, colorful and diverse aspects as well. I moved to Texas in 1997 and hated it for the first two years that I lived here, but it did end up growing on me. The city where I live in Texas now (Austin) is actually one of my favorite places in the US.
october

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jess - what do you mean by an offensive or close-minded culture?
Although i am American, I have only driven throught Texas, many years ago. It's funny since Texas or Florida are my main destinations. Florida, cause that's where i was born and Texas, because i understood that ESL teachers are needed there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: