Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the Catch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saint57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: What's the Catch? Reply with quote

I would love to spend a year teaching in Scotland or England before returning home. The two companies that recruited through my school were Impact Teacers and Time Plan. They e-mail me all the time. I have told them that it may be possible in September 2007, but they keep asking me if I'm still available. This tells me that something is seriously wrong.

- Do they pay foreign teachers less? If not, is pay for teachers in the U.K. generally terrible?
- Do they put you in the worst schools?
- Do you get full time hours?

Yes, I've been a member of this forum for three years and I've never successfully used the search function.

Thanks
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching in UK secondary schools?

The pay is good, last time I was in England they were throwing money at anyone who wanted to teach/become a teacher. It's the job that's a nightmare. A few friends of mine went into it after uni and burnt out in a couple of years. They went into supply teaching and found that it pays more and could make a nice living working less hours with less stress.
saint57

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dig it. Thanks for the reply.
darkside1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation regarding supply teaching in Scotland is different to England in several key respects:

Scottish schools don't use supply agencies much- the exceptions seem to be the highlands and the borders where it has been harder to persuade teachers to relocate. (The agencies you mentioned may be able to place you, however- I once read an article about a Canadian guy who got a job in Thurso...)

Unpromoted teachers can earn �30k at the moment although you can earn up to nearly �40k if you do the 'chartered teacher' programme.

Recruitment in the main cities and surrounding areas in Scotland is via local authorities' education departments (e.g. Edinburgh City Council).

You have to be registered with the Scottish GTC to be eligible for employment and you have to get your teaching credentials checked out by them if you are non- Scottish qualified before being allowed to teach (an enhanced disclosure previously known as a 'police check' is also required).

Local authorities generally place teachers on a payscale according to qualifications and experience between circa �20k- �30k. If you are willing to contact schools yourself (once on the supply list locally) and/ or keep phoning up personnel (a mobile is a must) and do supply in any subject- you will get work. It is then a question of being in the right place at the right time re vacancies in your subject to get long term supply (many people get full time jobs that way). I have certainly heard of teachers being recruited from Commonwealth countries and more recently from EU accession states such as Poland.

GTC website:

www.GTCS.org.uk
saint57

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks darkside1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: