Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL completed/First week of teaching almost in the can

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nineisone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: TEFL completed/First week of teaching almost in the can Reply with quote

It�s Friday and I can about close the door on my first week teaching ESL. I am instructing two advanced courses this month, one at 7 in the morning, the other ending at 10 at night, making for a long day. Britanico is in a bit of disarray right now as they have lost their coordinator of English Instructors last weekend just before the beginning of cycle and are struggling to find some semblance of organization. This has made for an interesting week, to say the least. I�ve heard of thinking on your feet, but the organization here has rewritten the definition of poor last minute decision making. A midweek meeting focused on unity and collective thinking only to end with everybody once again dispatched in different directions. Rolling Eyes Asi es la vida, I suppose. Maybe time to put the resume in elsewhere, but my stay is temporary so I will stick it out if for no other reason than the wonderful people who I work along side of and the entertainment value surrounding the disorganization. Welcome to ESL teaching in Latin America.

The TEFL course was completed with no problems. On the whole I enjoyed the course. Intensive, good instruction, and plenty of classroom observation and teaching. I recommend, but with reservations for those who have experience teaching or especially ESL experience as the methodology taught may be a bit light and not as comprehensive as needed. But sufficente for newbies, who can learn a system for language teaching and then actually apply it. As mentioned the cost is very cheap and you do get some bang for your buck. The VivePeru program includes homestay that meets expectations for the most part. If you have questions pertaining to my homestay experience, please feel free to PM me.

Well, that�s all for now. Happy to read about all the newcomers who are making plans for Peru, whether it be Lima, Arequipa, Cusco, or Trujillo. Should mention that Cusco is chock full of opportunities for ESL teaching for anyone interested.....getting reports that it is a wonderful city. Will visit soon.
vaughnyb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your graduation!

Here in Atlanta Georgia Ive been volunteer teaching for about 6 mos. so I should be prepared for the Vive peru course in Trujillo when I enroll in the middle of 2007. Whats Apts. like there? Not really up for a homestay unless I have to?

Cheers vaughnyb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: