Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A quick Visa question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fgradke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: A quick Visa question Reply with quote

How long in advance should I apply to get a tourist visa for Brasil? Also, does anyone know how long the entire process takes?
Gajeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget how long it took to receive my visa (a couple of weeks?) but once you have it, you must enter the country within 90 days or it will expire. In other words, don't apply for your visa if you aren't planning to go to Brazil for 6 months. You'll just have to apply again and re-pay the fee. Hope this was helpful. good luck.
danielita

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you are from...in Canada, you can apply for the visa in advance, as long as you have your plane ticket booked and you can give a departure date. As for the visa process, it depends on if you go into the consulate or if you mail it in (which is an option if you live far from a consular office). Once they receive it, it takes about 2 weeks for it to be ready. It you can either have it sent by Express Post (you can buy an express post envelope, fill it out and include it in your application, they will send it back to you) or you can pick it up at the consulate. As for expiry of the visa, they are often given for 5 years (at least with the people that I know that have gotten them).
Gajeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I got my visa in the U.S. and as long as you enter Brazil within 90 days of receiving it, it is valid for 5 years.
drewteacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a visa for an American necessary, or can you get it on arrival?
Gajeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get your visa in advance as far as I know. The Brazilians have a policy of reciprocity. Whatever the U.S. government requires of them, they require of us. We raise the cost of a visa application and they do the same. The U.S. requires all Brazilians to have a visa and they in turn require one of us. I got my visa in October of 2000 so maybe something is different now. Log on to a Brazilian Consulate site in a city near you and check it out. There should be an option for English or Portugu�s.
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Americans have to get a Tourist Visa before entering. It is $110 and is valid for 5 years (as long as you mark the multiple entries choice on the visa app.).
Dani L.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: What about visa extension? Reply with quote

As far as I know: You can be in Brazil for 6 months out of the year, if you renew the 3 month visa within the country.

So what if you get a teaching contract for one year? I hear you can just chill in Paraguay for a weekend, then re-enter. Does the cycle begin again? Even if you say, enter in January and go to Paraguay in June? Is it 6 months out of the year or 6 months at a time?

And yeah, even if you go to Brazil for a weekend you need a visa. In NY mine was $100 and took 2 days. Oh and get a money order at the post office, not at your bank or they will reject you (at least in NY). Your local consulate should have a website with guidelines.

Thanks!
gavinoz

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a maximum of 180 days in any 365 day period. You can't do six months, go to Paraguay for a week then come back to start a new 6 month period. Nor does it work for July to Dec, Jan to June.

For an Australian my visas only took a few days to process. I would be conservative and allow 10-14 days. You can do it on the road in Argentina or elsewhere and have a 2-3 day turn around.

Make sure you have filled out the forms correctly and there should be no problems.

If you overstay your visa the penalty is $R8.28 per day with a maximum fine of 100 days.
sarahe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all,
I have read through the posts about this but still have a question:

I am planning to go to Brazil in february for Carnaval and since I am from the states I have to get a visa to enter. (I am sure you can do it without a visa but I don't want to risk it since I basically speak no Portuguese)

I know it is possible to get a visa that is valid for 5 years, but supposedly the only way to do it is to apply for it when you are actually IN the U.S., meaning that from here in Buenos Aires (where I am currently living) I can only get the one trip deal.
The woman at the Brazilian consulate here in Buenos Aires told me that, and obviously she is going to give me the "super official" answer, but I am wondering if anyone has any info. on this or knows of a way to get the 5 year visa from here in BsAs.

It would be great to only have to pay the US$100 once and have it last for 5 years!

thanks
goinsouth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: visas Reply with quote

I was told here in south florida where I am that they don't give the 5 year one anymore. I had to pay $110 for a 90 day visa and that was a year ago. Now I want to go for Carnaval again this year and I think I have to pay $110 again. Let me know if you are able to get the 5 year one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: