Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Degree Or Not To Degree

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdb76

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: To Degree Or Not To Degree Reply with quote

If you have a basic TESOL (4week course) certificate from your university, how vital is a degree for teaching English in Greece?

My grand plan is to get my TESOL in January and at the end of 2007 relocate to Greece and continue my BA via distance education. I will probably be eligible to apply for the award of Diploma at the end of the year. Two of my majors are communications subjects.

MdB
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Degrees for greece? Reply with quote

It seems that like Cyprus,Greece and Turkey are among the countries where no degree means no teaching job as they don't consider Tesol or Celta are high enough.I had this problem here in Cyprus since 1999 when I took the course in London and only recently have I managed to get any work by teaching foreigners, either privately or by recommendation from the owner of a private institute, which strictly speaking is not allowed by the government etc.I have lived here since 1979 and have both Cypriot and British nationality, yet I could not find a way around the problem until now so I would not advise you to go to Greece and then hope to get any regular work there with the qualifications you have,unless you have some very good contacts etc.Salaries in Greece are also low compared to the cost of living, especially in big cities like Athens etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: