Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Me On My Quest!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonFreeze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is, do you like language? Do you read for pleasure, for example? Enthusiasm for language and being able to communicate that is initially more important than an intimate knowledge of the IPA. Have you considered doing an 'A' level English course at an evening class? Perhaps start reading some more popular and general works on English: how it works, how it developed and so forth. If you are set on using teaching as a way to Asia none of this will be wasted time or effort.

yes i love to read! admittedly i mostly read comic books just because i love to read them but i will read almost anything. i was pretty good at english in school and recieved an A at GCSE level for my efforts. i also have a C in Welsh and German. i had actually tried to learn japanese but find it very difficult to do on my own from a book/audio cd but what i was able to learn was very helpful during my trip to japan last may.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if i cant pursue this TEFL thing this year im going to enrole in an access to higher education course at the college in business, law and computing.

If you want to earn decent money, then any of those three options would be a better option than TEFL in the private sector. You just have to look at the job ads to see what the average hourly rate is - multiply that by 25 (If you get a full week's work), deduct tax and national insurance and you'll see that what's left isn't going to stretch very far.

Unless you can teach in FE (which will be hard to get into without a degree) then you should seriously consider business, law or computing.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know someone else who completed a CELTA, DELTA and MA in ELT and Applied Lingiustics at King's College, London, without EVER having taken a first degree and has gone on on to teach EFL at various universities in London. FACT. (Admittedly, they had acquired a couple of years experience in EFL teaching before they did all this.)

from
Quote:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/gsp07/programme/288

Quote:
Entry requirements
A good honours degree in a relevant subject, although those with other qualifications may be considered. Plus, applicants should have experience equivalent to three years� full-time in language teaching or a related post.
Just out of interest what were the other qualifications?

An MA is a postgraduate course, surely you need to have done some form of undergraduate study!!

I looked at many MA courses, all of them needed a first degree.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time this person started a Masters at King's they alrerady had the CELTA and DELTA and several years EFL teaching experience at a FE college, which I suppose counts as the other relevant experience mentioned in the quote from the King's website.
nicho81

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MA is a postgraduate course, surely you need to have done some form of undergraduate study!!

Most MAs ask for a good first degree or relevant experience, for example someone with a lot of busineess experience will be allowed to do an MBA even if they never went to university.
kyivprep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you from first hand experiance that a first degree isn't always needed to have a degree in TEFL, but it helps!
I've done Trinity TESOL Certificate and Diploma and in October I'm starting an MA in TESOL, again with Trinity.
This, does take time though, I've had my Certificate since 1997. So experiance is essential.
As for what school to go to, IH May be an international organisation, but they are all franchises and vary, some are awful.
The_Prodiigy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb said

There are respected British uni MA courses that take candidates without a completed undergraduate course. But with a decent amount of relevant experience (5 years perhaps) and a diploma.

One can leapfrog onto an MA, work hard and get a uni position.
Looter

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what exactly is FE short for?
zorro (3)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further Education.

I'm going to be really vague here, but I read on this site somewhere that you can get the CELTA for free if it is for furthering your career? Some kind of government scheme???
If Mr. Postman is still interested in this teaching business, perhaps he should look into this a bit further too - even if it just proves that I am delusional.
SueH

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorro, you may be delusional but not on this .. I posted previously about getting the CELTA paid as I was on benefit at the time. You have to be in receipt of certain benefits (can't remember exactly which as I wasn't actually on the right one, but shush!) and the course has to be regarded as vocational. As ever, do your own research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: