Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question About Guangzhou !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shayfic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Question About Guangzhou !! Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a non-native English teacher and I haven't got the EFL certification yet. I'm thinking to teach in Guangzhou, south China.
Is it possible to me to find a job there ??

Thanks,
Ronny Question
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think you can teach English? Just curious.
I don't see why you should not get a job with a language institute, a kindergarten or a public school although the latter might be more standoffish, insisting that you be an American.
xiaoyu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am assuming that even though you are a non-native english speaker that you have some form of education/experience or license to teach english in the country you are from.... in my experience that would be about the only way that you would be considered for a position without having esl certification..... just because most chinese employers feel that native speakers are the best at teaching english (which may or may not be true)..... thus making it difficult for non-native speakers..... good luck!
xiaoyu
shayfic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
What makes you think you can teach English? Just curious.
I don't see why you should not get a job with a language institute, a kindergarten or a public school although the latter might be more standoffish, insisting that you be an American.

Hi Roger,

Is a BA degree with English as a main subject study plus few years spending in the states are still enough to get a honest job ?
what do you think Roger ? Do I still have a chance ?

Regards,
Ronen Wink
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ronen,

I can't see any special trouble for you. My slightly sarcastic counter-question was motivated by my curiosity as to why you would want to teach, and to teach in China of all places.
To be frank, your professional input would not be highly regarded here. They simply want a foreign face, and they say a native English speaker is what they need. I doubt this, but then, we all have jobs because of our western faces.
It also means that some people get burned out extremely fast. This is not true for myself, though.

To enhance your chances, just don't mention the country of your birth unless specifically asked.
RSB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible for you to find work in the Guangzhou area. We are within the Guangzhou government area but an hour plus/minus travel to get there.

At the college we're at 1/3 of the over 50 foreign teachers are non-native English speakers and hold passports of countries where English is not the primary language.

e-mail if you want more info: [email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: