Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: International Community School in Athens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurorerio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: International Community School in Athens Reply with quote

Dear Forum members,

I wonder if any of you have any information regarding the International Community School in Athens. I have received a job offer from them, but instead of sending me a contract to review, they sent me an email asking me to forward a $650 "commitment fee", ostensibly to cover costs associated with visa/work permit processing. It sounds fishy to me.

They do not have a website. The individuals I have corresponded with are a Mr. Patrick James and their "principal" Mr. Martins Apodis.

Has anyone ever heard of them? While I do not want to pass up the opportunity to teach in Atehns, I certainly don't wish to fall victim to a scam. Any information you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Prof. David Clay
UTM
Huajuapan, Mexico
caroleinkorea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Aurorerio,

Don't believe a word they tell you. It is definitely a scam. If you pay (hope you haven't) you will never hear from them again. I was sent a job offer by these people and went through a lengthy application process which looked quite normal but I told my stepdaughter who has lived in Greece for many years the salary they were offering and she said straight away that it was unreal. As the process went on I realized it was a scam and sent the emails to the Greek Embassy here in Korea with an email explaining what was going on. Suddenly, I heard nothing back from the scammers and hopefully the Embassy took care of it. The scammers had NO idea I was on to them. They even called me here from Greece urging me to send the money as time was running out. The commencement date was supposed to be Dec. 6 so I didn't feel that time was "running out" as nothing had to be done except my airticket. When something seems to be too good to be true then usually it isn't. Unfortunately the Internet is rife with people who aren't worth living. Hope you didn't do anything about the money.

Regards,
CaroleinKorea
aurorerio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your helpful reply Reply with quote

Carole,

Thanks for the information. No, I did not pursue it and I reported their scam to Yahoo! as well. I hope they are caught and prosecuted, but unfortuntately, like most scammers, I think they just move on to other potential targets.

Your information was very helpful and I am grateful. I hope all is well for you in Korea.

Thanks again.

David Clay
Oaxaca, Mexico
adavidwatson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. If I had gotten to the fee I would have smelled a foul, but you saved me some time and effort.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 419-ers strike again !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: