Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corporate Work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Corporate Work? Reply with quote

Dear TESOL Teachers,

I am interested in working in the U.S. at the moment and am gathering information. Do you know of corporations in the Silicon Valley, CA area that employ TESOL teachers or that have departments dedicated to TESOL? Or do companies employ TESOL teachers on a contract basis? Do they use TESOL teachers?

Is this a possibility? I would love to hear if anyone works for companies in the U.S.

Thank you!! JulieS
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reply may not be much use to you, but I work for a large company in the SF Bay area and we don't employ any ESL teachers. There may be a market for this at some companies, but if there is I haven't heard of it. There is a market for teachers of communication-related skills such as business writing, presentation skills, etc. I imagine an online search could turn up a couple. Good luck.
JulieS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks -- & another thought... Reply with quote

Dear Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to write! I am also wondering if companies use ESL teachers to help acculturate business people to the US, work on accent improvement, business writing etc -- or if foreign-born business people working in the US seek these services individually. And where?

I have a lot of writing and teaching experience in the private sector and in the public school system...and would like to translate this to adult learners here in the U.S.

Any more thoughts or leads would be welcome!!

Julie
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Julie - There may be a market for the services you mention, but again, I'm just not sure where it is. It seems to me that companies around here pretty much expect people to be able to speak and write English with some degree of fluency as a precondition to their employment. Low-level service workers would be the exception, but a company is not likely to spend much on training that level of worker. Have you tried contacting any employment agencies or staffing agencies like Manpower to see if they would have a demand for your skills? Maybe you could train the temporary staff they employ. If you were able to change your focus some to resume writing and interview preperation for non-native speakers, I bet you would be able to find some interesting employment. Anyway, good luck and let us know what you find - I'm curious to know if this market exists in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: