Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arequipa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Arequipa Reply with quote

My husband and I are considering moving to Arequipa at the end of the year. Anyone have any info about living and teaching there?
HollyC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: moving? Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,
How are you? How are things in Lima? Anyway, I just saw your post about moving to Arequipa. What made you guys decide to move? Anyway, I should be arriving in Lima mid April. Hope all is well.

Holly
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too stressful, lots of time spend going from one place to another. We're both workign two jobs and studying in order to save up to buy a pension and then work part time in a smaller city. We're deciding between Arequipa and Trujillo.
traveller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Arequipa Reply with quote

Hi Naturegirl,

All my info is second-hand: I have yet to go to Arequipa.

A Peruvian/American surgeon I met on a local flight recommended Arequipa as the best place to retire: it has a nice university & good weather.

The Footprint:Peru 2007 guidebook I got mentions that the city is an old intellectual centre with beautiful buildings, but there is a serious theft problem at the bus terminal. Also, taxi drivers and criminals are working together - especially at night. Both tourists and locals are victims.

So much for my second-hand info. Is anyone there, who can tell us their impressions?

Also, is there anyone in Trujillo? Footprints mentions that they have nice pre-Incan ruins, and nice surfing....
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Arequipa Reply with quote

traveller wrote:

So much for my second-hand info. Is anyone there, who can tell us their impressions?

Also, is there anyone in Trujillo? Footprints mentions that they have nice pre-Incan ruins, and nice surfing....

Here's who's in Trujillo:
keepwalking, nineisone, makhno, LunaChica, vaughnyb

and Arequipa
vin1127, sarahb12345678
sarahb12345678

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Yes, I am in Arequipa. I just arrived here about 2 weeks ago so I can only tell you my initial impressions, as I still have plenty to see and learn in Arequipa. I have to say that the city is growing on me. The climate is wonderful... warm and dry during the day (all year round i hear), and a bit chilly at night. The buildings are indeed very beautiful... but some of the streets are so full of crowds of people, traffic jams and stores, that it is hard to notice the beauty of the buildings. That being said, there are also quiet streets that are quite pleasant.

In response to what footprint said about taxis... i have not experienced this or heard this from anyone here in Arequipa. but it may be true and i have just not yet had an issue. every taxi driver i have had has been extremely friendly and fair (and very well dressed).

oh, i read someone else�s post about the food here being cheap and great. thats very true. i have eaten so many delicious set menu meals for so cheap. i love the food here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: