Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

180,000Yen/month for full-time ALT ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
User N. Ame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: 180,000Yen/month for full-time ALT ? Reply with quote

Even though I've done my time in Nippon, I still like browsing the job ads. This one has to be a new low. Is this even legal?

Selti Co., Ltd. is currently accepting applications for an experienced Elementary School Assistant Language Teacher position in Central Ibaraki commencing in April 2007.

The monthly remuneration is 180,000 yen plus transportation allowance and attendance bonus.

The position is full-time, with a fixed schedule Monday to Friday (no evening, weekend or public holiday shifts) working between the hours of 8am and 5pm up to 29.5 hours per week.

Granted, 30hrs/week, but that's just a few shy of the usual load.

No housing allowance.

Are dispatch companies now becoming so brazen that they think they can actually attract candidates at this rate? Is this rate even legal within the laws governing ALT dispatch companies?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 180,000Yen/month for full-time ALT ? Reply with quote

User N. Ame wrote:

Are dispatch companies now becoming so brazen that they think they can actually attract candidates at this rate?

That's the free market for you. I have little doubt there will be someone out there that will take the job and say thank you.
User N. Ame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 180,000Yen/month for full-time ALT ? Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
That's the free market for you. I have little doubt there will be someone out there that will take the job and say thank you.

Yes, I know... and I was thinking of the ideal candidate. Neongene, who said in a previous thread:

i'm going to Japan come hell or high water so I don't care if I have to work as a human guinea pig at SharpShinyObjects, Inc.
AndyH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they have trouble finding someone.
baasbabelaas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drop in on your forum fellas (I'm not in Japan), but I think salaries are dropping day-by-day.

Instead of picking cherries in Western Europe for a summer, come to Asia for a year of fun-in-the-Asian-sun, it seems..

Taiwan seems to hold pretty well, salary-wise, and Korea is pretty desperate, so I get a dozen job offers from that land.

That said, once you're established in your location, it's you that can do the cherry-picking.

I remember when I started out TEFL-ing, first job was crap, second was good, cuz I spent a month sorting through the junk mail till I found a reasonable one.

Pity the newcomers..
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope they have trouble finding someone
Sadly, they won't. Someone will be desperate enough to take the job.
jademonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Nova pays more than that...and that's Nova. Why would you?
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jademonkey wrote:

Someone will have finished another contract, not been able to get work with NOVA, and will take the job. There are even worse deals out there than that.
jademonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furiousmilksheikali wrote:
jademonkey wrote:

Someone will have finished another contract, not been able to get work with NOVA, and will take the job. There are even worse deals out there than that.

That's true. It's all relative, I guess. At least Nova gives you money every month & doesn't actually screw their staff too much.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baasbabelaas wrote:
Sorry to drop in on your forum fellas (I'm not in Japan), but I think salaries are dropping day-by-day.

Quick! Alert the Media! This is a revelation that no one else knew! Rolling Eyes
Mosley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, Glenski is right and that's the root of the problem with the crap contracts being offered these days. How to solve the problem, for newbie and vet alike? Well, everyone looking for a job in Japan should follow my lead: here's a verbatim transcript of a phone interview I had a few months ago w/a Western guy who was recruiting for an ALT dispatch outfit(side note: this guy insisted I call him, not the other way around. That should've been my first warning).

ME: So you're not going to budge on the contract terms? I mean, really, you're offering a quarter mill./mo. with no housing, no airfare allowance[etc., etc.]?
HIM: That's right. It's pretty much take it or leave it.
ME: Uhh..maybe I wasn't clear about my experience & qualifications in my application.
HIM: Oh no...crystal clear. Quite impressive, really.
ME: And given that, you still only offer those terms?
HIM: That's right.
ME: Do you like hairy bums?
HIM: What?!
ME: [click]

When hordes of applicants handle interviews that way, we'll see a change in contract terms. But I ain't holdin' my breath.

So, I'm back in S. Korea now. A short time ago people back home asked me:"Mosley, given the nice things you've said about Japan and the nasty things you've said about Korea, why in the hell would you be going back to Korea?" And here's my answer:

I came here 3 weeks ago w/little cash and a $2K credit card balance. I don't even get my first paycheque until late Apr. but after 3 WEEKS I've already sent home $500 for my cc bill. That's due to a small settlement allowance and airfare refund already given to me. How would've I been doing after 3 weeks in Japan had I taken that dispatch job and arrived w/the same financial situation?

Money talks and BS walks....
bearcat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the above is an ALT position, I bet they also do not pay when there are vacation/down periods during the school year. Meaning that 180,000 a month becomes much much smaller to nothing.
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcat wrote:
As the above is an ALT position, I bet they also do not pay when there are vacation/down periods during the school year. Meaning that 180,000 a month becomes much much smaller to nothing.

Yes, it's pretty much a "work for food" deal. I pity the poor idiot who takes the job.
sethness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries for english teachers used to have a 250,000-per-month minimum established by law. That's been deregulated, however, so now anything goes.

Worse, most Japanese workers are "hakkensha-in" (short-contract outsourced labor from a temp agency, even in core positions) or no-paid-overtime salarymen, and frequentloy make less than the pet gaijin teacher... so one can't expect sympathy from the Japanese staff. They may well be working harder and earning less, with similarly crappy longterm prospects.

The O.P. says that "30 hours is less than normal", but I'd disagree there. Most English teaching jobs are only 25 "contact" (classroom) hours per week, with possible office hours/lesson-prep-time for another 5 to 15 hours a week-- or no office hours at all. AFAIK, only Nova demands 40 contact hours per week from its teachers-- and NOVA's teachers tend to quit ASAP.

Another very disturbing trend is the increase in part time offerings. Very few foreigners in Japan are able to, or would care to, divide their employment between several conflicting employers.

The only silver lining in this cloud is that nonAmerican foreigners can often self-sponsor their visa, thus enabling them to create their own very lucrative lesson groups. Without the overhead of a boss and an office to pay for, teaching English is miiiighty profitable.
keister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nonAmerican foreigners can often self-sponsor their visa

self-sponsor visa's are not available to Americans?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: