Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greece and Cyprus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRCash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Greece and Cyprus Reply with quote

With a CELTA, BA Degree, Native English speaking status, EU passport and 6 months p/t exp what are the chances in Greece or Cyprus in Sept?
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to find a job without difficulty in Greece. Cyprus is a very different kettle of fish.
JRCash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the Hellenic Republic is best to find work, where is the weather best and what is cost of living v wage?
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=24561
pirateinpanama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don`t know the situation exactly, one place to try may be Cyprus College which falls under the Laureate Int. U. system umbrella.
I was thinking of a transfer there and I did a little research (they look pretty good), but alas I`d never make the same $$$ there.
GOOD LUCK!
Cool
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Teaching jobs in the Greek Cypriot area of Cyprus. Reply with quote

Now we are in the E.U. anyone from a member state is technically allowed to come here and work in a large number of jobs,assuming of course they have the right experience and qualifications.There are some quite reputable private schools in towns such as Nicosia and Limassol which recruit teachers for a variety of subjects and who have English as their main language but they are quite choosy and demand for jobs is very high.As far as E.S.L. goes,this is another story because most private institutes also expect teachers to know Greek as well,mainly as most students are local schoolkids.Officially,you also need a degree as well as a TESOL qualification.
A big drawback about Cyprus is the high cost of living compared to salaries and we are joining the Eurozone next year too.Having lived here since 1979 on and off,knowing the language well and even having dual nationality,I cannot honestly recommend anyone to come here expecting to make a living from teaching,unless they are lucky enough to get one of the jobs I first described above.Other downsides to Cyprus are the still unresolved political problem,even though the border is now open to everyone between the two sides and the excessive building development which is spoiling many parts of the island,plus the arrogant and sadly less welcoming and hospitable attitude of the local people towards foreigners than they were reknowned for in the past.
I would definitely choose Greece instead,especially somewhere away from Athens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: