Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's get it right about Casablanca please!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africaexpert wrote:
Morocco is quite safe, safer than many parts of England and the US.

That is just wrong. Statistically Morocco is not as safe in any regard as the US or UK.

problem with saying 'many parts of' is that it works both ways. I.E. Many parts of Morocco are more dangerous than many parts of UK, and vice verca.

On the whole, Morocco is a less safe place to be. Check out figures: petty crime/road accidents/ violent crime/ level of extremism etc etc
medina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About TC's response concerning relative safety: I'd probably agree if we're comparing Morocco to the UK but not the US. Handguns are illegal here as they are in the UK (and I suppose most other countries of the world!). I think that makes a big difference in how safe you feel walking down such and such a street. Don't have any statistics, though.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most murders in the US are drug dealers killing each other in bad inner-city neighborhoods. I will feel safer retiring to a small, leafy, quiet small town in the US compared to the Middle East or perhaps Morocco because physical safety is hardly restricted to violent crime--the insane and unskilled drivers in the Middle East make their roads and streets the most dangerous in the world. I don't know about Morocco, though--haven't been there. I can't imagine they take defensive driving in high school there, however.

And I do remember statistics from the British Home Office a few years ago stating that non-murder violent crime rates are higher in Australia, UK and Canada than in the US.
Winston Bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the insane and unskilled drivers in the Middle East make their roads and streets the most dangerous in the world"

ditto for Morocco.
medina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument there, WB. I'm only glad they finally finished the new autoroute from Casa to Marrakesh. That used to be one of the most dangerous roads in the country when it was two lanes.
ElMaghrebi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha,

a drive on a Moroccan road might just be your last.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, ain't that the truth. I arrived home from work each lunchtime a complete nervous wreck! Especially during Ramadan. Driving there is a death wish.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car smashes and general road carnage made for a pleasant change. At last, I thought, some action in Casa.

When I wasn't in a petit death trap (to be fair, only one crashed with me inside), the only threat to my life was all those cheeseburgers in the Hippopotamus Bar. I�m not saying the food options were limited, but after a week in Morocco, I had to make the choice between anorexia or dying of heart disease at 43 � I had a cheeseburger with fries and never looked back.

And another poster on here might recall the day when a colleague was driving along and two Moroccans jumped in his car. They pointed knives at his liver and stomach and gave him the choice to vacate his vehicle dead or alive. But then again, it could happen anywhere, right?
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All foreigners should know that there are a whole lotta knifes around in Morocco, seriously, some guys walk around with them as a matter of course, a very good reason to avoid any kind of conflict on the street......I mean, no, it is not safe, violent crime is high in Casa and other big cities, one has to be cautious, that is just a plain fact.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:
knifes

I never feared knives within the Casa and Rabat British Councils.

There were metal detectors on the doors.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bombs going off there this week...glad I am out of it
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like it happens very often. Moroccan secret service is pretty efficient and does not put up with much violence.
Re: driving in Morocco: I felt safer driving myself in Morocco than being in a taxi.
Re: safety in general: Unlike the US: No gangbangers. No drug trafficking (apart from hash) No home invasions. No meth. No human trafficking. btw, much of the crime in the US happens in every part of the country, not just inner cities. Wake up.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am awake, but bored
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously don't live in my part of the US.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not from the US at all.

Morocco safe? Well who knows anyway? Check out the US embassy website, don't sound to pretty to me.

If I was to go back to Morocco 2mrrw for any length of time, well, I wouldn't fear for my life or anything, I would know that the chances are everything would be okay, I would be careful not to engage in too much controversial conversation with strangers etc etc, but Morocco is one of those countries where extra care is needed!!!

I can tell you that coz I'm a man and have first hand experience of that minority group who are up for being bolshy and showing you what they are worth, perhaps with a 10 inch blade. Expat women don't tend to do too much walking around alone, especially at night, and thus, have a different picture, also, men are more likely to express aggression to a fellow male. Ipto facto.

Please don't go round telling people Morocco is a 'safe' country (like say Japan could be deemed to be statistically), coz if you do, the last part of your monikor ;'expert' might lose it's credibility....wouldn't want that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: