Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One way tickets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: One way tickets? Reply with quote

There's been some discussion about entering on a one way ticket. In theory, you need a round trip if you enter on a tourist visa. Sometimes they require you to buy a return ticket at the airport, then you simply refund it. Or you might be asked to show proof of funds.

Take a look at these:
http://forum.livinginperu.com/index.php?showtopic=45
http://forum.livinginperu.com/index.php?showtopic=547
http://forum.livinginperu.com/index.php?showtopic=693
keepwalking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entered on a one-way ticket with no problems from immigration. I think a lot of travellers enter LA countries and then travel overland and fly back from elsewhere.

I did raise some eyebrows with my airline who contemplated refusing to fly me. My flight went via the US and they were concerned that US immigration would refuse me a transit visa. The reasoning was hilariously idiotic.

The airline representative argued that US immigration would take the view I was trying to enter America illegally... Apparently they would think I was flying to Peru only to back-track through Mexico in order to enter the US. When I pointed out it would be cheaper to fly to Mexico on a return ticket, or direct to the States on a return ticket and then disappear I was told that that was too obvious! The airline actually called their US office to check the situation - I could hear the laughter over the phone as he explained his Mexico theory.

In reality I went through US immigration without any fuss. It would be worth calling your airline in advance just to see if they have any fantastic theories.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, aren't you from the UK? and you need a transit visa?
keepwalking

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you don't have to apply in advance and there are usually no questions asked (other than are you a terrorist, a question on the form!) It's weird, the US is the only place I've been where i had to have my fingerprints taken to LEAVE the country...

Maybe I just always meet over-zealous ticket agents!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: