Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

greek ancestor and right for citizenship

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cccharlesss

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: greek ancestor and right for citizenship Reply with quote

Hi to all,
I need your help.

I want to present an application in order to ask for the greek passport. I was able to find the birth certificate of my ancestor near the municipality in Athenes. My ancestor was born in 1889. he is my great grandfather (father of my grandmother)
Now my question is:

-Do I have the right to ask the greek citizenship directly based on the fact that he is my ancestor who is greek and that he was born in Athenes?

OR

-should I wait that my grandmother as well my father apply first to have the greek citizenship and once they have it I would present my application after them? I am 24 years old.

- some greek friends told me that I could not ask for the citizienship since the ancestor is neither my father or my grandfather but it is further away my great grandfather. I did not give much of a listen to them because they also told me that I will never find the birth certificate which I found after 2 years of research!

so do I loose the right?

if anyone knows anything on this matter, I would really appreciate all the help that I can get!
Thanks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to ask this question at the Greek Embassy in your country. It is unlikely that anyone here is going to specifically know the law. The Embassies usually have websites. Google it.
I think it's unlikely that you're going to qualify, but it's just my guess.
mavros

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for my Greek passport in 2003 through a Canadian Embassy.

According to this site, here is what is considered a Greek Citizen:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:TpbPzhBUiacJ:www.greekembassy.ca/documents/4e.doc+Greek+Citizenship&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca

Another thing that complicated matters for me as well is that I have an older brother. In order to register myself, my brother had to be registered first and then me (as well, we had to track down baptismal certificates).

Basically, from what the above website says and my own experience, you will have to wait until your grandmother gets her citizenship, then your father, and then you as they need to be registered in the municipality that your family is from.

So you will need to do the following:

1) Have your Grandmother get her Greek citizenship; and if not already done so, have her marriage registered with the municipality.

2) Have your father get his Greek citizenship, and if need be any of his older siblings. Then he will need to get his marriage registered as well.

3) You register in the municipality after any older male siblings.

POINT OF CONCERN:

If you are over 18, once you have registered as a citizen in the municipality, in fact even before they properly process it, the police will come looking for you as you will be classified as a deserter from the army (all Greek males must do mandatory service in the army). You can get a letter from the Greek embassy in your country saying that you are a permanent resident in a foreign country and you will need to get a relative to bring to the municipality's recruiting office there to exempt you from military service. When they issue you the passport it will have stamp in there that allows you to visit for no longer than 6 months. If you stay one day over, you will be expected to serve in the army and won't be let out until you do your service.

My advice:

This can all change though, so you really need to talk to the embassy. I've talked to other people about it as well (some said they couldn't get it because their mother was Greek and not their father; others who applied through the US embassies were given a hard time because they were American).

Talking on the phone and sending faxes was pointless for me as nobody ever got back to me. Go early to the embassy in person with the documents that you have and find out exactly what else you need (I needed birth certificate for my mother, brother and myself from Canada; a recently issued one from Greece for my father; their marriage certificate as they hadn't registered the marriage yet; past Canadian passports for myself, and brother; transcripts, diplomas and tax returns to show that I have resided outside of Greece during gaps between my passports.)

Some common sense stuff that you already know: Be patient (the whole process for me took about 18 months to finally have a passport in my hand). Be polite (they will bust your balls a bit if you don't speak Greek... like they did to me). Dress like you would for a job interview. Get names and business cards of people you talk to or should talk to.

Good luck with process. You will get it if you want it... and it's worth it as you will then be able to work anywhere in the EU with no questions asked at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: