Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A+ school in poland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: A+ school in poland Reply with quote

anybody know anything about the A+ school in Poland?

cheers,
jonney.
Harry Swindells

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Harry Swindells on Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
jonney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the reply.
the offer seems exceptional. all living expenses are paid for as well as double the average polish wage.
they are based in Elk - and they use this Callan Method.
i've already had one dreadful experience of going abroad to a nightmare school and do not wish to repeat my 'great escape' heroics again (it's a long and disturbing story).
hours seem good, pay seems good, conditions SOUND ok - not sure about the Callan Method.
anyone who has been teaching a while may have a far better sixth sense about these things than i have. Any thoughts?

thanks,
steven.
Harry Swindells

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Harry Swindells on Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Elk and Callan Reply with quote

Hi there.

I have to completely agree with Harry about "twice the average Polish wage". Yeah, yeah, yeah. A lot of schools will tell you that, but not tell you that you'll be working at least twice as much as those teachers. (800/month for 18 (45 minute) hours a week is normal at the primary and secondary schools). This is nothing, and is nearly impossible to live on.

I personally work at a public university, get a Polish wage, which is NOT very much, but it is a bit more than lower schools and for fewer hours. But I also needed to supplement with another job. This is easy in Silesia (Sosnowiec/Katowice), but in Elk?

My suggestion, look elsewhere. I've been living in Poland for 5 1/2 years and can see when they are trying to cheat people. They are definately trying to do it there.

Chris...
jonney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: more help for a new guy Reply with quote

thanks for the replies - i'd already decided to give the school a miss - just something a little disturbing about the whole job offer - nice to know you think i've made the right decision.
however, i would appreciate a little input on a new offer i've got from a school called the English School of Communication Skills. this school has branches in various parts of Poland and seems reasonably professional. i haven't discussed terms yet - what should i be looking for money wise? and is it normal for schools in Poland to provide a flat?
if you have any info on this organisation i would really appreciate it as i've just returned from a one month stretch at a truly dreadful school in Eastern Europe and do not wish to have to make another great escape from a shocking school.

cheers,
joney
Harry Swindells

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Harry Swindells on Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
jonney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

i've just read the info about escs in the job info journal - i think i may have just avoided my second (and probably final in this profession) nightmare.
does anyone know of any GOOD schools i could apply to in Poland, or Eastern Europe generally? I have just qualified with a B and am genuinely interested in Eastern Europe, Poland especially. it sometimes seems this industry is a minefield of cowboys.

cheers,
jonney.
farusha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: I, too was interested in A+ Reply with quote

Hi Jonney,

I was applying for that job also (10 slotys per hour) which comes to $2.53/hour. I put a post out on the Job Discussion Forum here (the old one) and asked about that. Got some emphatic don't do its! Also, the director was in a bit of a rush. I told him I needed some time to sell my car for the airfare, and he was tellling me to leave it with someone to sell. So, ultimately, I decided against it. Besides, I like to buy and prepare my own food and choose my own housing. So, good luck with looking for a job in Eastern Europe. Try Slovenia--it's supposed to be very beautiful--I tried to get a job there, but they chose someone else. But it does sound like a winner place to go!
Eva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Poland Reply with quote

Hi,
Wages in Polish public schools are low, that's true! In private schools--better! In private Polish schools in Warsaw-- much much better (in a week you make as much as in a public school in three weeks). Take my good advice, and give private English lessons in Poland (aside from having a regular job, of course). That's the only way Polish teachers survive--believe me! I'm Polish, I studied ESL in Poland, and worked over there! I know Polish reality! In a city I used to live in an English tutor (depending on how good he was) made from 25 zlotych to 60 per hour--giving just one hour per day (which is no effort at all), 5 days a week, charging, let's say 50 zlotych, you can make as much money in 3 weeks as working full time in a public school in 4 weeks.
Harry Swindells

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: wow Reply with quote

Last edited by Harry Swindells on Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
steven_gerrard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geographically maybe, but it was very much part of Eastern Europe in a political way.

BTW, well done on earning 2000 zloty a week- you've really made it! Do you work fo rCambridge School of English or something?
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: a decent outfit Reply with quote

Try UCET, a chain of university studiums throughout Poland.Pay's ok, accommodation is provided and you've got plenty of time to do privates.In Poznan ,don't charge less than 60 an hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: