Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go in China.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: You can work legally, do not worry, go have fun Reply with quote

Very Happy I wroked with an aussie girl who was 19, she got the green book, a 20 and 22 year old and they got the green book. None had a degree. do not listen to them who say you will be illegal. China is corrupt and it doesn't really matter. As long as you have the green book. My advice, stay in the big cities. More comfy and very interesting. with all the migrants you do get that country feeling. Also, do not harp an your age to both chinese and foreigner. both will get jealous or even angry. Lie to your students if they are older. give them an age of 21 or 23. Just friendly advice.
Dragon
Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: I would have to totally disagree Reply with quote

Writerman wrote:
Dragon wrote:
Very Happy I wroked with an aussie girl who was 19, she got the green book, a 20 and 22 year old and they got the green book. None had a degree. do not listen to them who say you will be illegal. China is corrupt and it doesn't really matter. As long as you have the green book. My advice, stay in the big cities. More comfy and very interesting. with all the migrants you do get that country feeling. Also, do not harp an your age to both chinese and foreigner. both will get jealous or even angry. Lie to your students if they are older. give them an age of 21 or 23. Just friendly advice.
Dragon

One of the biggest changes in Chinese society is the emergence of lawyers and about 'consumer rights.' Dragon, are you aware of just how many restaurants in major cities are being sued because of 'bad service' or 'food that made my tummy funny'? It's going crazy because the local people do not always fully understand what a capitalist legal system means (or can mean, at least). Schools are also being sued for having 'bad teachers.'

If you can get an official to risk his/her position and also be a possible target for legal action by getting you an 'illegal' work visa for a few bucks then congratulations! But it's becoming less and less common in the major cities (like Shanghai or Beijing). Why would they risk it?

In the provinces...more likely!

Question Well that is your opinion. I see no problem. No, I am not aware of how many people are being sued for bad service. But I am not surprised, considering some of the dumps I have eaten at. First, they do not have a very good legal system anyway. It is in its infancy. Listen, if the school gets sued then it is their fault, not the good or the bad teacher. That is life. If it is becoming less common, then it is becoming less common. I am just stating fact. I live in Beijing, I always get one. It is easy. Do not be so paranoid. If you get caught and do not have any money to pay the so called fine, what can they do to you. Throw you in the "gulag"? They just do not care. They have much bigger fish to fry. Read the papers. Oh, I forgot they are all censored. Watch the telly, oh that too is censored.
If you got a friend to stay with it will al work out. If you have trouble in the cities then go to the country. They will get you whatever you need. Don't worry so much. Have a glass of red wine and chill
Over and out
Dragon
pattyflipper no more

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do appreciate the advice once more. It is good to know that there is a chance that I am going to be able to work in China legally to some extent.

You all may be right about it being hard to find a job in Zhuhai, so with that said can anyone recommend to me schools in any of the other cities listed, or any other town with a population under a million with a fairly good environment.

As for staying away from the language schools, how am I able to tell the deference between the ones that would suit me (public schools) (in your opinion) and the ones that would not (language schools). Also, what is that main difference in employment conditions in the schools in these schools??

And the last thing, can anyone recommend any web sites that give info on southern china, and the coastal cities around there. I have been to a few, but I am looking for info on what life there would be like. I would like to say thanks in advance to everyone for replying,
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that you do a search by province, and by city. One of the reasons I like Helen's Chinatefl site. Go to their map, and look at where you want to teach.
Someone always says..well i know someone who did this. Having a BS degree is not a requirement for being employed legally. But most schools who are good enough to be able to hire you legally will insist on it. There are just too many teachers out there. Only schools that don't care much about teaching quality will hire teachers with no degree...almost always, there are always exceptions
Colleges usually say so in their title"Real" 4yr colleges ten to have simple names...Zhengzhou Institute of technology..their own web site you can check out. When you e-mail them, ask about their school.
Language schools usually try for catchier names..Pacific Ocean, Dashan, English First. They usually will have you teach nights/weekends, wide variety of student levels even in the same class, worse student attitude..the students think they can buty english sometimes (my feelin)
In between are quaisi colleges, students may go there one semester or two years, taking full time courses. These vary greatly between high quality and scams. Usually college age students. These almost never can hire you legally, but will try to trick you about it. Working conditions can vary . They often put a country's name in their title...Canadian Institute of business Technology
RSB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On www.chinatefl.com look at Puiching College of Commerce. There are a few people here (mostly older) without degrees.

The college is actually outide Huadu in Chini. A little isolated but nice campus. If you want any other info email us at [email protected]
Anne-Marie Gregory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: ...and also check out the Job Information Journal Reply with quote

Check out the Job Information Journal on this website. Make sure you speak to a current foreign teacher there (remembering that you might be put in touch with the only one who's still speaking to the management) and do as much background research on the place as you can. Do bear in mind though that we all have our own perspective (bias). And do expect to be fed some not entirely factual facts about your potential job.

China is a fantastic country full of opportunities. However, many, many things can go wrong. Many terrible things happen to good people. Be careful. The private sector in particular can be problematic. It can also be very rewarding...both financially and, well, as a teacher. I've just bailed out of one such quasi FE college and only now see all of its good points.

I come from a similar background and spent ages doing voluntary work, and paying to fund voluntary work in Africa. If I'd know about teaching in China a few years ago then I'd have done what you are embarking on.

Good luck!

AM
colmartn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Some Info Reply with quote

Hey there,

I saw your post and I know how you feel!! I am also TESOL certified, but without a 4 year degree. Let me tell you, you will have no problem getting a job or a working visa. I have been in China for some time now working and without any problems. As long as you dont lie to your employer, and they know you only have a TESOL degree, I*m sure you wont have any problems. Also, 2 other friends of mine here are also teachers, and they do not have a BA/or TESOL, they also have had no problems. Also, I have heard QingDao is a wonderful city in China to work and live in. The have the most beautiful beaches, very clean, and pretty modern. The also have a Subway resteraunt, jazz bar, and western style gyms, if you are interested in that. There are many jobs openings last I heard too, I was actually thinking about moving there myself. Well I hope this helps, if you need any more info, just ask!! Best of Luck!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: