Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Last edited by MartinK on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Freaky Deaky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

I've been here for two years - TODAY!!!!

Humour. That's it. Look around man, and see how absolutely, totally, completely screwed up everything is. It's bloody funny!!

Do not fight the system - you will lose.

Try to be authoritative - not in a nasty way. Someone jumps a queue - remind them there's a queue. We're not just teaching English here are we?

Take a holiday every now and then - you would in your own country, right?

It's culture shock - you will get through it. Smile Cool
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone in the crowd says "laowai!", I go up to that person and ask: "Laowai? LAOWAI?? Zhende? Nali, nide laowai..." This never fails to prompt them to laugh out loud and good-humouredly.

Stares? I once watched 6 heads turn simultaneously in my direction as I approached an intersection a busy downtown area of GUangzhou. I could not possibly avoid stares and remarks by these boors. Their stares nearly bored me as I came closer to them, so when I was within talking distance I said, "nimen hao! Mai piao! Wo shi dongwu. Nimen mai piao, 5 kuai qian..."
As a matter of fact, 4 of them scampered off, but two reluctantly fingered their purse and handed me 5 yuan each.
no joke - this did happen!

I find it much worse when a school abuses my dignity by unceremoniously barging into class and taking a picture of me - for commercial use!
While I am nearly powerless to stop this in each and every instance, I have derived some benefit from one such incident. I demanded a transcript from a TV report they were doing on me. I got it - plus a video that I can now use to market myself.
Kurochan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Bingo! Reply with quote

Okay, maybe this is mean, and maybe it's a little mischievous, but I had this friend who was really burned out and complained whenever she saw some of the weird stuff that makes China so great -- you know, a guy with a bagful of snakes, a guy welding in just boxer shorts and flip-flops. That sort of stuff. I told her she'd be happier if she just changed her attitude. I made this bingo game, and each square has some typical Shenzhen thing in it, like "hooker." When you see one of the things on the card, mark it off, and the first person to give five across wins Shenzhen bingo!

Maybe you should try something similar! If you adjust your attitude toward the weirdness ("If I just see a mysterious pool of blood in the road, I can be the winner!"), you'll feel better.
dan sullivan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: sound advice...here's some more Reply with quote

you'd be wise to head the advice of those who replied. you might also try switching jobs, or even cities. i had enough of shanghai and headed to chengdu. the result was a new lease on china - it was quite invigorating. china is so immense and diverse, you'd be remiss to remain in only a single location. true, you'll have to make new friends, find a new job and all that stuff, but sometimes an incisive jolt of change is in order. good luck!
whitjohn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say may I please borrow your 6 foot knockout model so I can try that experiment?
ChinaLady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: For fun or ?? Reply with quote

I like the idea of switching cities. But I am really into being able to hit the Carrefour or City Super once a month for the western fix. can I do this in other cities? and will my university think I am being disloyal if I start looking for another job? you are right, Shanghai is not China. but the people watching is sooooooo great! and I do like my university students. mumble, mumble, toil and trouble.
Freaky Deaky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Chinalady. So Shanghai is not the real China - who cares? If I want real China I'll go there (where is it btw?), but I'll stick with my simulated version in Shanghai. Rather like going to Disneyland and saying 'Yeah, I've been to America'. It ain't real and that's the way I like it. Every now and then I too need to dip my toes back into Western culture. The nightlife's fantastic here! If I was in some city or town in Henan could I have a choice of over 200 bars or whatever? Ok ok not everyone's choice. And what's all this talk about 'Shanghai Princesses'? My gf is Shanghainese and after I slapped her around bit she's behaved herself ever since. Twisted Evil
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Asia for over two years, 22 monthes of this in the People's Republic, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I also live in Zhejiang Province in Hangzhou.

The first place I taught was in a medium sized city called Dongyang, which is about the square middle of the province. In a city of about 400,000 or so people, there were NO other foreigners. Zero. In this city, there is two people there that I could speak English to at a normal rate of speed. The other English teachers around there kept telling me to slow down when I talked (I am from Mississippi).

I am a large (yes fat Crying or Very sad ) blond haired American dude in the middle of nowhere China. Everyday, I get stared out by everyone in town and everyone is yelling "Ni How! Hello! Ni How! HEEHEEHEE" and all that. I posted all the silly things that Chinese will ask, such as, 'Do you like Chinese food', 'Do you think Chinese women are pretty', and 'My English is very poor'. Last week, I took the bus from Dongyang to Hngzhou and made the mistake of telling a young man that he had a cool jacket. So now this kid is sitting next to me asking me silly questions, when all I want to do is vegetate and look at the scenery. Two hours of him, and I could not walk away.

Chinese are very curious people, and most are very nice. They want to know about us and our culture. This is different from Koreans who could care less and more actively dislike outsiders. I lived in Korea so I know. In 6 monthes in Korea, I had one Korean man who actually liked and cared about me and was a friend. 6 monthes in China, I have several friends and a wife! It has not been all wonderful, but this is my life and I embrace it fully.

My advice is FIND A PLACE that is YOURS! I live in an apartment here, and pay rent and bills like I do in the USA. My computer room is my spot. Be alone, have some alone time, but try to make yourself a network of people here that you can call on and be friends.

SENOR
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is FIND A PLACE that is YOURS! I live in an apartment here, and pay rent and bills like I do in the USA. My computer room is my spot. Be alone, have some alone time, but try to make yourself a network of people here that you can call on and be friends."

I think sometimes the turned off feeling about China comes from feeling a lack of control of our life. Then all of a sudden every little thing seems to irritate you.
What do you want? What are your goals, your interests? Or are you just letting yourself be swept a long with no control? Are you reaching out to make contact with Chinese or foreigners? Or have you become isolated a little.
The feelings you mentioned don't always have anything to do with being in another country, But rather we you are at in your head.
Good luck !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: