Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree required to teach in PERU?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inlightened

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Degree required to teach in PERU? Reply with quote

I have a CELTA certificate and plan to move to Peru soon. I do not have a Bachelors yet so I was wondering are there a decent amount of schools that will hire someone in my position or should I look somewhere else? Any advice would be very much appreciated!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they prefer a degree over a TEFL cert, however there are places that'll hire you. Just be aware that in order to get a work visa, you usually need a degree. So you might have to work under the table.
inlightened

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible to stay in the country without a work visa?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, read the ULtimate Peru List, there's heaps of info there.
inlightened

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Laughing
RyanS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend it at all. You will get a bad job that you won't be able to pay the bills with.
nineisone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanS wrote:
I don't recommend it at all. You will get a bad job that you won't be able to pay the bills with.

Depends on your lifestyle expectations and probably also where in Peru you seek to teach. In the north I know of several ESL teachers who are able to pay their bills and sometimes even save a few $ all the while working on a tourist visa and making the nearby border hop to Ecuador every 3 months. Many lacked a TEFL certificate, College degree, and teaching experience but still live the life of a middle class Peruano.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:
RyanS wrote:

Depends on your lifestyle expectations and probably also where in Peru you seek to teach. In the north I know of several ESL teachers who are able to pay their bills and sometimes even save a few $ all the while working on a tourist visa and making the nearby border hop to Ecuador every 3 months. Many lacked a TEFL certificate, College degree, and teaching experience but still live the life of a middle class Peruano.

Right, but keep in mind that the minimum salary for Peruvians is 500 soles a month, which is about 175 USD. If you live humbly, you can do just fine, but this can be difficult if you want to fly back home. DOn't expect to save money until you have connections, qualifications, experience and are prepared to work very hard.
RyanS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 soles a month will not pay for rent, food, water, electricity and bus fare in lima.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanS wrote:
500 soles a month will not pay for rent, food, water, electricity and bus fare in lima.

NO it doesn't. That's probably because most Peruvians live with their family.
nineisone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 soles would be the minimum salary. According to the UN, the average Peruano makes 7k USD a year or close to 2,000 soles per month. As pointed out, there is a great disparity between the haves and have nots and income distribution is shameful. But even with a tiny middle class in Peru, it's right where most ESL teachers fit. And 1,500-2,000 soles a month covers basic costs almost anywhere in the country.

Now if an instructor expects to travel, entertain often and live with 1st world comforts then they are going to have some money issues.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 soles a month? Maybe those with experience. For those starting out, right out of uni, there are lines to get jobs that pay 500 soles. Gues it's all about connections.
RyanS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:
500 soles would be the minimum salary. According to the UN, the average Peruano makes 7k USD a year or close to 2,000 soles per month. As pointed out, there is a great disparity between the haves and have nots and income distribution is shameful. But even with a tiny middle class in Peru, it's right where most ESL teachers fit. And 1,500-2,000 soles a month covers basic costs almost anywhere in the country.

Now if an instructor expects to travel, entertain often and live with 1st world comforts then they are going to have some money issues.

Thats the GDP per Capita, thats not how much a person makes a year. That includes money made by Transnational corporations in Peru who loot resources and live in the United States, Canada, or Europe. If a coffee company makes 700 million a year in peru thats added to the GDP, whats not spent on wages will be put towards their starbucks operations in the United States.

Teachers in the public system, who have university degrees from Peru or full officers in the police forces will make anywhere from 250 US Dollars a month to 300 US dollars month, 900-1000 soles. Thats an average income for professional career jobs. However many others will make anywhere from 300 soles to 700 soles a month.

700 soles might just cover your living expenses if you do not ever plan on getting sick, old, having a family or traveling. Many Peruvians rely on money from relatives living abroad just to make their basic lifestyles met.

Someone who makes 1500-2000 soles a month is living at first world standards here. If you don't mind living in a poorer district you can live very decently with about 1200 soles a month. But you will not make 1200 soles a month, without a work visa and foreign degree with experience. Thats money I brought from Canada.
nineisone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived on less than 1,000 soles per month. Granted it was in Trujillo which is less costly than Lima. I rented a nice room for less than 200 soles for the month, spent less than 350 soles eating 3 meals per day, the majority at dining areas eating menu, and my other expenses added up to less than300 soles for the month. So it can be done. I was quite comfortable. And I worked at one of the lousiest and poorest paying ESL gigs in town!

In Lima you can buy a private health insurance plan serviced by many of the good private clinics for around 100 soles. You can live real cheap without trying too hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: