Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touchdown In Peru
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nineisone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I should mention that my homestay is with two spanish teachers and while I have not taken their classes, the students who have seem satisfied with the level of instruction they receive. PM me if you want to take Spanish classes with El Britanico. I can recommend who the good instructors are. I do believe they have French but not German capable teachers on staff right now in addition to English.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:
Things are going generally well with the TEFL course through the VivePeru program here in Trujillo.
In regards to UK Britanico and the TEFL course, the full picture is starting to form for me and if choosing to take the course again, I might pass.

Are VivePeru and UK Britanico the same course?
nineisone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also replied in the other thread on this subject.

The VivePeru TEFL certification program ceased to exist at the end of 2006. I was the final student of the program and took the month long course in October of that year.

The program was run in cooperation with the UK Britanico Language school but the actual facilitators of the program were not directly employed through the school, although they sometimes taught Spanish classes there.

The program used a native Peruvian Britanico instructor to teach the TEFL classes. She was competent and pretty good at presenting the basic overview of ESL. The most beneficial part was the observed teaching practice which accounted for over 40 hours of the 160 hour course. For myself, new to ESL teaching, but with experience teaching in Public Schools in the U.S., I rated the course subpar but a good value for the money.

I found it to be the cheapest option in Peru and worth it for ESL beginners or even teaching beginners as all the classroom experience is valuable.

The Program management consisted of a husband and wife team. They coordinated other volunteer programs and also the aforementioned Spanish language immersion program with Britanico. I got the sense that they were not making much money off the TEFL cert and were not highly motivated to keep it going once the primary instructor left for another position.

It was a unique program while it lasted and I sincerely hope something will come along and take it's place and provide an avenue for those with little $ but the desire to enter the ESL field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: