Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMPORTANT APOSTILLE INFORMATION
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: IMPORTANT APOSTILLE INFORMATION Reply with quote

I hope the mods make this a sticky. It is SO important in Mexico.
Here is a link that tells you what an apostille IS, and points you in the right direction toward getting one:

http://www.juliaferguson.com/apostille.html

Canadians, note: Your country doesn't do this. You need to go to the Mexican Embassy (or a consulate) to find out what to do...because you HAVE TO do something. Immigration, once you get to Mexico, doesn't care that your country doesn't do this. It's up to YOU.

I'm a director of studies at an English school in Oaxaca and this is a hassle SO often because teachers come in looking for work and they don't have this. This information needs to get out. PLEASE make this a sticky so people don't have to do a search. It's too important for that.
Samantha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since not all teachers are from the USA (or Canada) here is a page from the Hague Convention website which addresses the world. Click on the first link in "How to get an apostille"

http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=text.display&tid=37

Canadians start with the DFAIT website (Department of Foreign Affairs). You can use the mail to get step number one, the authentication process, completed.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/common/authentication_documents-en.asp

Step two for Canadians is contacting the nearest Mexican Consular office to complete the required paperwork.

NOTE: DFAIT, by request, will forward your documents on when they are done with them, if you decide this is a more convenient. From DFAIT website "If you requested that we forward your documents to a foreign embassy, high commission or consulate after authentication, please contact them to determine if they have your documents prior to contacting us."
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've compiled the following information from using the search function here on Dave's, all of this information in already here on Dave's in other old threads.

Apostille Information

http://hcch.e-vision.nl/index_en.php?act=text.display&tid=1

Apostilles
If the country belongs to the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents, the apostille is used. The Convention provides for the simplified certification of notarized documents by use of a special form called an "apostille" in certifying the document. The apostille does not need to be ribboned onto the document being certified. With the certification by The Hague Convention apostille, the document is entitled to recognition in the country of intended use, and no additional authentication or legalization is required.

Our friend Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille

List of countries party to the Hague Convention
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Convention_Abolishing_the_Requirement_for_Legalisation_for_Foreign_Public_Documents

United States
If the document in question was issued by a state, for example a Degree or a birth certificate, then the Apostille is issued by the Secretary of State of each state.
If you are in the state that issued your degree, no problem. If you are not in that state you can still (probably) have the state you are in do an Apostille, but it will be an Apostille on a notarized copy. Have a Notary Public make a notarized copy (they sign that this is a true copy of an original document) then take that to the Secretary of State�s office, who will check their records to confirm that this is really the signature of a Licensed Notary Public and affix an Apostille.

United Kingdom
Foreign and Commonwealth Office, just off Trafalgar Square
The Legalisation Office
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building
The Mall
London SW1A 2LG

020 7008 1111
(For your info)
http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029391440
You first must have your copy certified by a solicitor there is one just around the corner where you can have that done: Creighton and Partners Solicitors, 1 Great Scotland Yard
Countries not party to the Convention must have their documents legalized

Australia
Office of Foreign Affairs and Trade

New Zealand
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

South Africa
Ministry of Education (for Apostilles of degrees only)

Canada
Canada is not a party to the Hague Convention so Canadian documents must be Legalized instead see
http://www.embamexcan.com/CONSULAR/LegalizationDoctos.shtml#legalization
melisssssa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: authentication Reply with quote

Canadians,
just to let you know that the consulado in Montreal authenticated my documents without having a prior authentication from DFAIT. I asked about this point explicitly. I have heard it's different in the consulado in Ottawa. This was a pleasant surprise because I was prepared to get on a bus to have it done right away in Ottawa. Instead of 1 working day at the Ottawa consulate, it's 3 in Montreal.
Gregor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Apostille information.

NOW, let's get this thing locked, if possible, before the thread gets bogged down with a lot of negativity or TOO MUCH information. I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into discussion. I'd like to point people toward this thread for information on getting the apostille, and if there's too much here, it loses its usefulness.
MELEE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if someone could please expand on the information for Australia, New Zealand and Ireland (and other countries should they come up).
vaca_loca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: NZ information Reply with quote

Here's a link to some New Zealand specific information from the
Department of Internal Affairs website.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Apostille-Certification-Index?OpenDocument
GueroPaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just phoned the Mexican embassy in Bangkok to see about getting my TEFL certificate apostilled. She said it's now a 3 step process.
1. Get the MoE of Thailand to certify that the course was MoE approved. You must go to the district MoE office where yours was issued.
2. Go to the MFA of Thailand for them to certify it.
3. Go to the Mexican embassy in Thailand.

Since my certificate was issued in Bangkok, and I'm far from there, I have a problem. But I may not spend a week in BKK, and may never teach in Mexico.

Last edited by GueroPaz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for teachers from India, looking to get an Apostille

http://mea.gov.in/apostille.htm
raulyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for people who live in the USA and are looking for an appropriate office.

http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/apostilles-usa.php?abarcar_Session=07b558d84d425f14bae81c30d766f392
James Hetfield

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS FOR GREAT LINK FOR USA:
http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/apostilles-usa.php?abarcar_Session=07b558d84d425f14bae81c30d766f392

You need to get the degree OR the TEFL certificate appostilled. One or the other. If you have both, I'd suggest the degree. Get whatever document you get apostilled translated. You don't need the translation apostilled, or at least you didn't last time I dealt with it. That wasn't very long ago, but they change it almost daily, and every state (in Mexico, that is) is different. I just got my degree and TEFL certificate notorized and apostilled before coming down. You can probably wait to get them translated until you get to Mexico. I was in Texas so the degree was about $40.00 dollars.

If you get a FM2, you probably won't need to show your degree or certificate. I didn't have to. My wife (who is Mexican) told me that you will have to get your degree translated here in Mexico. She said they MAY NOT accept it if its been translated in the States but I'm not sure if she's 100% sure on that. For sure though,get them notorized and apostilled before you come down. I wouldn't worry about the transcripts. No one has ever asked me for them. I would say the degree and TEFL certificate are the main documents you will need to have notorized and apostilled. No medical check but some schools may want physical. Never heard of them wanting immunization records here.

To: James Hetfield
Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:06 am
Subject: Re: Apostille stamp questions from Mexico sticky
You need to get the degree OR the TEFL certificate appostilled. One or the other. If you have both, I'd suggest the degree. Get whatever document you get apostilled translated. You don't need the translation apostilled, or at least you didn't last time I dealt with it. That wasn't very long ago, but they change it almost daily, and every state (in Mexico, that is) is different.

For that matter, every US state is different, too. As for fees, ease of obtaining the apostille and so on. For example, if you're from Minnisota, you are in for some hassles. Arizona, on the other hand, is easy. Just make sure you go to the Secretary of State of the STATE government. Do NOT do it at the Federal level! Let me know if I can help any further. Bear in mind that I am now in Indonesia so I'm not going to be up on the current state of apostilles for much longer!
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if you need to get degrees apostilled for Guatemala? Is it better just to get it done and not have to worry about it?
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
Anyone know if you need to get degrees apostilled for Guatemala? Is it better just to get it done and not have to worry about it?

Answering my own question, I found out that Guatemala requires an "authentication", not apostille, but it's done in the same office.
McMurphy_RP

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: transcripts and diplomas? Reply with quote

Gregor -

Thanks for all the information on apostilling. I'm moving to Mexico soon, and it's really invaluable. I have a couple of follow-up questions:

Based on what I've read, it looks like the things I need to have apostilled are educational documents, since my passport will serve for identification purposes? Is that correct, or would there be practical value in having things like my birth certificate apostilled?

I have a couple of master's degrees and am figuring out how to get the transcripts apostilled. Is it necessary for me to have the actual diplomas apostilled as well if each degree is notated on the transcript? In order to do that, I'd have to get replacement diplomas (which I imagine would be costly), and I'd just as soon not lug the oversized parchments around with me if it's unnecessary.

Thanks,
Neil
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

The authorities here love official-looking documents with fancy printing and ribbons and gold seals, etc, etc. The more elaborate, the better. Hence, what you need to have apostilled is the actual diploma, not the transcripts. When I applied for my FM3 a couple of years ago, that's what Migraci�n was interested in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: