Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places for bargin shopping?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Best places for bargin shopping? Reply with quote

I know that Gamarra has great bargins, but it's a bit far and after buying a couple of sweaters and having them stretch way too much, I'm going to stay away from markets for a bit.

So now that the end of the winter season is coming and shops are getting spring clothes, I'd like to shop for winter stuff for next year. Any ideas on where to get good bargins? I'm going to head to Ripley's and there's a store on the 21st block of Arequipa that has discounts on shirts as well.

Any other good places to go?
nineisone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to do much shopping while I was in Trujillo. El Virrey on Espana is a popular mall and I haggled with vendors over everything from sunglasses to alarm clocks. They did have numerous stalls with clothing and oodles with athletic footwear. Less a mall and more of what we might call an indoor flea market.

Although I had shoes repaired in Trujillo, I did buy a pair at the ubiquitous Bata stores which seem to be in most towns. I found them to be a fairly good deal although I have not gotten a lot of use out of them yet.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Polvos Rosados yesterday and bought two skirts and a sweater for 98 soles, it's not crowded, has good qualifty and it clean, so I've finally found a place to shop.! Smile

I've also gotten the following suggestions from people
Hit the shops at the end of the season (August or February). Ripley and Saga often have great sales. Gamarra�s a good place to go. There are buses that�ll take you there on Aviacion. Some shops on Larco, near Ovalo Miraflores have good prices as well, though the quality might not be as good. Polvos Rosados and the shops opposite, in Ovalo Higrueta in Miraflores is my personal favourite because the prices are good and so is the quality. Polvos Azules, in Lima on 28 de Julio, near Flores, is another possibility, however, the quality varies and it�s not the best neighbourhood.
RyanS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Juan de Miraflores has a lot of shops. But I think you can't beat Gamarra or central Lima in general for movies, clothing, and so on. And for the cheapest dress shoes, furniture or anything of leather in Lima I think in Villa El Salvador wins, around the factories, you can find really cheap furniture and shoes.

Trujillo has very cheap dress shoes but expensive normal shoes.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALso, be careful of what you wore. I went to Polvos Higuerta two weeks ago and bought skirts. Everyone said that they were 30 to 35 soles. Yesterday, at night I went with my husband, I wore a trenchcoat, supposedly there's super expensive here. I got mine at Salvation Army in WDC for 5 bucks. Everyone jacked up the prices and now skirts, from the same vendors were between 38 and 42 soles. So dress down, consider wearing jeans or sweats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: