Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best allocation of slim funds?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dharmabumin06

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Best allocation of slim funds? Reply with quote

I'll be arriving in Peru in September with around 2500 USD and a BA from an excellent university and will be looking for work as an English teacher. It seems that I have two possible routes to take when job hunting and I�m looking for some advice on which to take (or a third option if one exists).

Option 1

Arrive in Peru and take a TEFL course which appears to cost at least 1500. After rent, food, etc. during the course I'll have very little money to cover expenses while looking for work. Id hate to run out of money and be forced to return home with nothing but my expensive certification.

Option 2

I arrive in Peru and look for work with out a TEFL. It seems that with out the certification it will take longer to find work and it�s likely that it wont pay as well but at least I can live frugally for a while on 2500 while job hunting. My biggest issue with this plan is that if I�m going to be teaching, I'd like to do it well. Basically, I'd feel a bit irresponsible doing it with out any training.

That being said, I do have experience teaching English but it has been exclusively teaching children with Autism using Applied Behavior Analysis. Although that system could be used to teach anyone, its not very well suited for people with out a learning disability.

The final variable that complicates my decision is that I�m going to Peru to experience the culture, improve my Spanish and do some climbing and hiking. For me that means where I live and work is more important than how much money I make. Ideally Id like to travel around a bit to find work in a place that feels like home, I�m just not sure Ill have the money to do it if I get certified. Naturally, the other side of the coin is that if I'm not certified, I may not be the best candidate for the position when I do find the place where I want to live.

Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read all that and offer their suggestions!

M

M
nineisone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dharmabum,

I like the Kerouac reference in your name. Forgive my long response to your query.

If you have a college degree you can certainly find teaching work in Peru. But as you mentioned the pay is likely to be quite poor and guidance will likely be minimal in many lang institutes.

I would suggest getting some kind of training. As mentioned the best courses tend to run around 1500$. Most are a month long and will provide a good overview of ESL teaching. Make sure you find a course with sufficent in class practice teaching. There is no substitute for the value of that experience even if you have taught ESL before. It will get you acclimated to the ebb and flow of a Peruvain classroom.

The other thing you might want to consider and even make a decision on is where in Peru you want to live. Sounds like you enjoy hiking and outdoor pursuits, so a highland town is probably your best choice. That said, you can always show up in Cusco, Arequipa, Huancayo, Huaraz, Cajamarca, and other cites of significant size and just begin your search. The nice thing about Peru is that it is relatively cheap and comfortable although time consuming, to travel the country by bus.

Since money is not an object, you are at least open to the idea of teaching in a language institute and not just seeking a better paying gig in a regular school or university. This will give you a lot more options as lang institutes have a higher turnover in instructors, many value native speakers, and most hire year round. You will just have to show up an do lots of canvassing. The responses you get may guide you in determining what type of TEFL course to take which you can always arrange while you are in country.

While Cusco supposedly does not give an entirely authentic Peruvian cultural experience with the tourism explosion, you might want to still consider it for its mountainous location, numerous TEFL cert options, and soft shoe landing for a first timer in the country. You can always move on if you do not find it to your liking.

Hence, no easy answer to your query.

However you choose to proceed, good luck and enjoy your Peru experience. Mine was wonderful and I miss it daily.
dharmabumin06

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Kerouac was the inspiration for my first travel abroad so I thought it was appropriate to pay homage. Smile

I'm interested in Huaraz if only because its the base for entering the Cordilleras. In another thread I recently started a poster gave me the impression that it may be difficult to find work there. Do you know of any institutes in Huaraz?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that option two is the best. Here in Peru a degree is worth much more than a one month TEFL cert. I've worked at two unis and a school and they never asked to see my TEFL cert. Only one of them asked to see my degree.

I don't think that you'll get less pay without having a TEFL cert. Plan on getting about 5 USD an hour. Try to find privates, they pay better.

How long are you planning on staying here?

My husband and I spend a total of 600 USD a month and that covers everything from rent to food to going out. But that's because we live in Lima, if you live in the provinces, you'll spend less.

The main thing to get a job here is to be a good English speaker and willing to work split shifts.

More likely than not, you'll be working under the table. So if you want to move to another town, just simply leave.
RyanS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived very decent on about 3000 for six months. But I lived in Villa Maria district of Lima. Lima Sur is cheap to live outside of Surco, Surco has a big university. which teaches languages, possible tutoring jobs. Also around Secondary schools. English is one of the subjects kids learn.
dharmabumin06

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

naturegirl321:

If I get a job with out getting trained, how do I go about teaching, creating lessons and homework assignments? Do I buy some ESL books and follow their lesson plans? I'd be happy if I didnt have to drop so much money on the course but I'd like to be able to do my job well.

I don't know how long I'll be in Peru. I'm going down with the intention of living there, not just passing through. With that said, I want to find work in a town where I can enjoy my time off. As I mentioned earlier, enjoying my time off means having access to outdoor activites. If I have that and enjoy my work, I may stay for quite a while. If not, Ill probabally move.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go, go to your local library and pick up some books about teaching. Also ask if you can observe some ESL teachers at secondary schools or unis.

THe school will give you books, workbooks and a teacher's book. Just follow the teacher�s book at first, then you can get more creative with role-plays and games. Though some places won't let you. My school is very grades orientated, so with about 40 grades per student and 36 days of class, there's not much time for games. However, I play Sharon's Game at the end of the chapter. Which is like jeopardy except you just say the answer, not make the question.

YOu can make decent money here if you work hard.
nineisone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

dharmabumin06 wrote:
Kerouac was the inspiration for my first travel abroad so I thought it was appropriate to pay homage. Smile

I'm interested in Huaraz if only because its the base for entering the Cordilleras. In another thread I recently started a poster gave me the impression that it may be difficult to find work there. Do you know of any institutes in Huaraz?

Sorry, wish I knew more about Huaraz. Didn't travel there or meet anyone who had lived there. Sounds interesting and I hope you explore and report back to us.

I will defer to naturegirl who can answer your question on how to prepare for teaching without any additional training as she can answer that best. I will add that it is my experience that most language institutes tend to have a set curriculum that you will be able to follow. Often times this is only a skeletal structure and you will have to develop games and activities to fill the majority of the time. Before I left I hit the library as has been suggested and spoke with local ESL instructors here in the U.S. to get ideas about activities and techniques that I could use.

Your post makes it sound like you are considering Peru as a permanent residence. If so, definately consider focusing your search on schools and unis as they probably offer the best long term employment. You have a college degree and some teaching experience so you should be able to find something pretty good even without the TEFL. As long as you feel comfortable managing a class, making lesson plans, and working with a variety of age groups, you can get by without the extra training.

Glad to know that Kerouac was inspirational for you. 'On the Road' just got a new 50th anniversary printing which will include many previously deleted sequences from the original. Hope you check it out.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:
Your post makes it sound like you are considering Peru as a permanent residence. If so, definately consider focusing your search on schools and unis as they probably offer the best long term employment. You have a college degree and some teaching experience so you should be able to find something pretty good even without the TEFL. As long as you feel comfortable managing a class, making lesson plans, and working with a variety of age groups, you can get by without the extra training.

Be aware that if you live here permanent, the only way that you can become a citizen is through blood or marriage. If you don't fit into either category, you'll either be a worker or immigrant, which means that, luck you, you'll get to visit immigrations between 2 and four times a year.
dharmabumin06

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say what I'm going to do because I've never been to Peru. I'm don't think it will become my permanent address but if I like it I'm open to the possibility of staying for a couple of years. If it doesn�t feel like home I may try out Colombia or Argentina.

I'll have to look into the new On the Road

Thanks for all your help!

M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: