Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Bucharest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gosta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Working in Bucharest Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been offered a position with IH in Bucharest and wondered if anyone has had any experience teaching with them, or of living in Bucharest.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Bebsi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er...yes...how much have they offered you?

Bet they offered you 300 euro a month plus free accom plus free transport? And did they tell you that the salary is twice the local salary and that it is enough on which to live well in Bucharest?

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, it's not. It is not even enough for a Romanian teacher, living with parents and with low living costs, but for a western expat with different expectations and standards it is a no-no...it's industrial revolution slave labour, basically.

The accom they provide is something I cannot comment on, but I am given to understand it is a very small flat in an old communist block in a...well, modest part of town. They do provide a free bus/metro/tram pass, however.

I could be wrong about all this, maybe they're now paying a lot more than they were a couple of years ago. Perhaps they have evolved into a commercially aware organisation intent on keeping up with changing times and have an index-linked salary. Perhaps they appreciate the concept of reward-incentive-productivity.

Or perhaps not.
SITW99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can back up Bebsi's comment 100%.

300 euros a month (they do still pay that at IH) is now way below what a professional expects to earn in Bucharest (unless they are a local teacher in the state system, in which case they survive by offering private tuition, selling home-grown fruit in the summer, goodness knows). Those Romanians I know who are 5 or 6 years into their career see anything less than 800 euros a month as an insult. They are post-university of course, but not working for one of the magic six, or an oil firm either. Anything less than 1000 euros a month plus free accom is an insult to a native speaker teacher, IMHO. Bucharest costs a small fortune to live in.

This is why IH Bucharest employs 50 teachers, only TWO of which are native speakers! Presumably they are quite confused, and/or poor, as we speak...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a place called littlelondon.ro a kindergarten that pays 600 to 1000 euros a month
El

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Bebsi and Sit have valid points, they still show a common thread of total dissatisfaction with Romania. Nature Girl follows up with a small but very enlightened post as is her usual from the thousands of posts I have read from her. It's like apples and oranges. People like Bebsi have their usual flair for the negative points, while NG comes in with the angelic points to soften the post. I love NG....
Bebsi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People like Bebsi have their usual flair for the negative points, while NG comes in with the angelic points to soften the post.

Well, if spotting a scam or exploitation scenario when I see one is what you'd call negative, then I am negative and proud of it!!

Seeing things thru rose-tinted glass is a bit like our grandparents' view of masturbayshun: it may give instant gratification and creates an immediate feel-good factor but ultimately makes you go blind!!!!

Twisted Evil Laughing
El

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seeing things thru rose-tinted glass is a bit like our grandparents' view of masturbayshun: it may give instant gratification and creates an immediate feel-good factor but ultimately makes you go blind!!!!

It's why I have to wear glasses..... Embarassed
Bebsi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wear very strong contact lenses.

That must make me a complete w**ker????

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: