Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hOW is Cambodia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: hOW is Cambodia Reply with quote

I will be leaving for Cambodia in a few days from China. I understand the cost of living is low. I will be looking for a teaching job when i arrive there. Can I change rmb into the American dollar when I arrive at the airport? How long will it take me to find a job? I have a degree and a Tefl certificate and I have been teaching ESL for over 8 years total in Asia. I am from America and I am 47 years old. I know the money is not great but I am looking for a place where I can call it home. I also understand that I can get a business Visa at the airport is this correct? It would allow me to stay in Cambodia longer than a regular tourist visa. Anyone who lives in Cambodia who would like to help out in these questions would be highly appreciated by myself. Thanks for your time in reading this posting.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about your questions, but you can ask at talesofasia.com or pm someone at wwwkhmer440.com--they should be able to help. you certainly need the biz visa to stay, elsewise you will be forced to make a vis run after 90 days or let your visa lapse Shocked
comenius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, from a friend of mine living and working in Cambodia, the business visa can be obtained once in country fairly easily if you don't pick one up at the airport. Just ask the motodops in front of your guest house, or the folks that run your guest house, and one of them will likely have no problem taking care of it.
norbdemn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Cambodia is easier to settle into in terms of paper work. I am wondering if more foreigners are coming over there. Also I wonder how it compares to Thailand. Perhaps less redtape?
Keithbrooks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norbdemn wrote:
It seems like Cambodia is easier to settle into in terms of paper work. I am wondering if more foreigners are coming over there. Also I wonder how it compares to Thailand. Perhaps less redtape?

You can get the business visa at the airport, it costs 25$ US and you need a visa type photograph. It is only good for 30 days and you need to renew it.

You can renew it for 30 days, 3, 6, 9 or 12 months after that. The six and above can be used for multi entry.

Rents are becoming a little high right now. Around 200 a month. A year ago it was 300 for a four story building, now you can't touch the bottom floor for less than 600.

Pay is around $10 an hour, and the term just started last monday. Getting a job now is easy, but as the term progresses a little harder. The term ends on Dec. 6th and one week of no work.

You will only be paid by the hour and not monthly. So depending on the school you will get paid every two weeks. Make sure you know about the schools reputation before you begin working. Some do not pay their workers on time. Some of those have been closed down do to no teachers.

Other than that, it's really laid back. The food is a little dirtier than most countries I've been in, I have gotten food poisoning at least once a month.
but it's cheap. YOu can have breakfast for around 37 cents including free tea.

If you eat at a western restaurant expect to pay around 3.50 a meal and above. Khmer restaurants will be around 1.75 and above.

any other questions ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: