Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MLI - the nightmare continues......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar805

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: MLI - the nightmare continues...... Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by omar805 on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
MLI Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: The conspiracy continues Reply with quote

Thanks for informing us of the horrible state of affairs at MLI as viewed from the other side of the subcontinent. It�s always nice to get second or third hand information.

What�s going on at the MLI these days?

Teachers are subjected to 12 contact hours per week instead of the usual 16.

Some classes are smaller than the standard number of 12 students.

There are no discipline issues with the students.

The new contract promised a salary increase to all teachers, and they are starting to receive it.

Teachers who have not received their salary deposited to their bank accounts have been given other forms of payment.

Ramadhan started last week, cutting the workday from 7:30 � 2:30 back to 9:00 � 2:00.

Cafeterias are closed for Ramadhan, forcing teachers to bring their lunch from home and eat at their desks.

Since teachers have more time in their offices, the internet is slower at the computer on each teacher�s desk.

To make matters worse, winter is coming. That means that the days are getting shorter just when the weather is starting to get nice. I�m sure one of the new coordinators is behind this. Maybe you can tell us which one???
mli_vet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: How soon will these salary issues be resolved? Reply with quote

Thanks, Advocate, this is helpful information. No complaint here about those Ramadan hours. A nice perk at most institutions in the Gulf.

But when will these salary issues be resolved? How long do you think it will take for folks to start getting their regular salary without having to supplicate w/ empty hand extended for days or weeks after payday w/ no pay deposit after many months? (years relate some old timers) Who should I talk to for some real help if I'm having a salary problem--someone who can really do something? Why does it seem there are so many teachers/former teachers/job interviewees still owed money by GHQ? Is GHQ going to ever get these $$$ issues sorted out?

No discipline issues? Really? Have there ever been any fights in the MLI/Branch location classrooms? Do teachers encounter any Al Qaeda sympathizers in their classrooms? Do students ever make hits on MLI/branch teachers? (in or out of class) Have any teachers ever been assaulted while coming to work in the morning at MLI/branch locations? Who was apprehended, assaulter or assaultee ? ? ?

If I converted to Islam, perhaps changing my name to something like Abdulzafar, would my salary problems magically disappear/salary bonus be added/promotion to coordinator post occur?

We don't share the same rosy view of MLI/branch locations, but we seem to agree that Ramadan is a wonderful time of year here. Good time for "professional development" and getting the resume polished up Idea Use this extra time wisely--Happy Ramadan ! ! !

MLI Vet
Over and Out
grand fromage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MlI Advocate, glad you're enjoying it still. I did once too, and actually till not too long ago. Hope you get to enjoy it at least as long as I did.
aza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Coordinators Reply with quote

I am sorry. My apologies to all.

Last edited by aza on Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aza, as much as I dislike the individual which you just described in such detail, lets stay professional and keep personal details out of the descriptions. Touching on national, ethnic and racial aspects of an individual, and introducing "native-speaker" vs. "non native-speaker" status, screams RACIST at best. Actually I find your assumptions about his childhood and the consequences it had on him outright disgusting. Unless of course, you were one of those kids that you say gave him hell. We all know the person in question, and referring to him in general will still ensure that all concerned get the point. Let's not stoop down to his level and mainatain an objective perspective.
AbuZayed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: MLI Reply with quote

I had the misfortune to read Aza's slanderous diatribe before his comments were censored. It is quite sad that teachers who would like to see themselves as 'professionals' resort to tarted up gossip. The gentleman he chose to attack is an educated, articulate professional who has worked hard to organise T2T events at MLI and at TESOL Arabia. It may well be that he discontinued his voluntary work for TESOL Arabia to pursue his studies. What's the source of your information? Gossip? One of the many roles of a teacher co-ordinator is to observe staff, offer constructive crticism and enable the teacher to reflect on his/her teaching practice. It may well be that certain individuals, who could be stuck in their ways or see themselves as superior to others, don't like to take advice from a non-native speaker. This may well be the core issue! What if the teaher co-ordinator knows exactly who his critics are - yet they continue to work at MLI. If so, how could he be as bad as some would have us believe? I think a small hard core group of spiteful individuals are out to blacken his name. Are they jealous of his position? Perhaps! I know him as a friendly, approachable team player. I respect him for the enthusiasm he has for educational research and his contribution to staff development and TEFL in general. It would be interesting to see what contributions his critics have made!
mli_vet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Contributions? Hmmmm . . . Let's see now. Reply with quote

Contributions? Hmmmm . . . Good one! . . . Let's see now.

Where do we begin. How about with curriculum development, testing, web activities, CALL Lab and day-to-day teaching? How much in these areas has been developed by the average Joe at MLI? (answer: most of it) And who gets the credit for development in these areas, particularly now that AMIDEAST has hit the road? (answer: the BIG dogs)

Who has given the most valuable/useful presentations at T2T and elsewhere, teachers down at the practical, implementational level, or those w/ their heads stuck up in the clouds of theory and verbose academese? Who's got the good ESL stuff? (answer: average MLI Joe does)

And we thought we were coming here to educate! Guess again, teacher "education" is a part of MLI/Branch location "professional development." That's why there's an MLI Teacher Education coordinator, who shouldn't really be criticized for his ethnicity (that's a low blow dudes), but attitude towards teachers and the idiosyncratic approach to professional development are fair issues to discuss since they affect so many teachers at MLI.

Politicizing professional development for self-advancement at the expense of the average Joe (sorry all you Joe's) at MLI just doesn't seem to promote the camaraderie, morale, or creative/independent spirit that might otherwise bring out the best in ESL professionals.

Ready, set, educate me, please ! ! !

(BTW--where's my salary? Why can't anyone get this right?)

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
omar805

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: blood money Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by omar805 on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
tefllifer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: MLI Reply with quote

Hello,
From what my contacts tell me, life is very weird at MLI these days - maybe too many changes in personnel, too much expansion all at once in too many diverse directions - and with the departure of AmidEast it's confusing for all - lots of new teachers who don't have the benefit of AmidEast's expertise in processing - unprecented scenarios for the new admin to deal with, the whole new contract deal (negotiated by AmidEast, but not necessarilty well thought through) - seems like everyone there needs a lot of patience at the moment.
I'm sure most teachers just do their job and take their salary and don't worry too much about all the things which concern MLI Vet and his entourage - we can all quote isolated incidents which happened somewhere once upon a time, but once the point is made, that's the end of it - and is the point even worth making a lot of the time - let alone repeating ad nauseam?
Seems like lots of the stuff going on is due to the change in Admin and the new admin is having to clear up the mess left by AmidEast - and I pity the new teachers who have suffered due to this - but I think they have now been paid every last cent. However, old teachers still seem to be losing the 10% despite having finished their year and being on new contracts - who knows when that will stop? And when will the 10% be reimbursed?
Who are the people writing in this thread? Are they current teachers, or ex-teachers there, or like me, friends of teachers there? Let's hear from the people who work at MLI and make judgments based on their word.
As for the folk at KAC - guess nobody told them the water system for Al Ain - and here's a related question - why didn't MLI keep the existing teachers at the Air College? Did anyone mention that these teachers were housed in the Officers' Club and then a 5 star hotel before they got their accommodation?
Latest laugh I'm hearing is the women's dress code - it very cleverly targets teachers who have never had complaints against them and misses the mark in dealing with the scruffs and promotes the bag-lady look. Why can't the folk in charge deal with complaints against individuals on an individual basis? So, where's the male dress code? Hope it talks about the need to cover up hairy arms and such and that bald heads must be polished and eyebrows, noses and ear hair trimmed - and that jackets and trousers should match, and no ballcaps and backpacks will be allowed - and other such male insulting trivia as the things itemized in the women's version - beer guts (belt under or over?), size of tie knots, tightness of trousers, beard grooming, preferred style of belt buckles - yeah, right - sure it will.
omar805

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: 5 star sewerage pit Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by omar805 on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
tefllifer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: mli - the nightmare continues Reply with quote

Omar,
Like you, I don't work at MLI - so I haven't attacked any male colleagues.
Sewage problems can be fixed and hopefully they have been.
Yes, I believe that Emirati ladies were involved in the dress code issue - they are hardly in a position to condone things which they themselves cannot wear - especially in Ramadan.
omar805

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: that sinking feeling Reply with quote

deleted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: