Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm leaving Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: I'm leaving Peru Reply with quote

HI everyone,
I thought I�d write a general post to let everyone know that I�ll be leaving Peru on the 1st of Nov. I�ll be gone until the end of February. I�ve quit all three of my jobs. I think I need a break, working online and for the university that I work for is great. However, the school has been stressful to say the least. Also, when I came to Peru in August 2004, I only planned on staying a year as I had been accepted to a uni in Australia. I suppose that since then my feet have been itching to leave again.
I�ll be going to Seoul, Korea and teaching in a public school. Originally we were going to go for a year, however, after I accepted the position and sent all the documents, including my original degree, my husband was offered a great job that he couldn�t refuse. We thought about having me talk to my employers again and ask fro my job back, but all things considered, think that Korea is the best option right now. The pay is wonderful and so are the benefits. Plus I�ll only be teaching 3 classes and each class has about 8 sections, so that�s only 3 different classes a week compared to 23. Needless to say there�s much less paperwork.
The hardest part is that I�ll be in Korea and my husband will be here in Lima. We�re hoping that the time will go by quickly, especially since he�ll be working long hours for a while.
I still don�t have my flight yet, there�s been technical difficulties at the travel agency, nor my visa, hopefully I�ll be able to apply this Friday or next Monday and it takes about 2 days to get the work visa, but I�m feeling excited about going to a new school and country to teach for a while.
Also, to those who I was supposed to meet for coffee, I�d like to apologise for not making it. I hate being flakey, but all the things that have been going on these past few weeks (buying a flat, moving, having my purse with cell, USB, everything in it stolen, not having internet or a phone, plus quitting and training people, worrying about immigrations, getting a flight and visa) has turned my life upside-down. So I won�t be able to have coffee for a while, but will try when I get back in March. I plan on trying to work at a uni and online in order to have more free time.
So, I guess that�s about it.
Sharon
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your help Smile your info i'm sure has helped thousands if not millions of readers over the years.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johninmaine wrote:
your info i'm sure has helped thousands if not millions of readers over the years.

Couldn't agree more. I for one admire naturegirl's energy that she puts into things- I always read her posts on the Romania Forum and look forward to the day she posts to say that she's finally got it! All the best in Korea. Smile
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adios, have fun. We`ll see you when you get back. Time will pass very quickly. Four months is nothing. We`ll try and hold down the fort for you while you are gone.
keepwalking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to have a welcome back party in February! Best of luck in Korea - don't go getting to settled on their forum, we need you here to organise us!

We'll keep in touch - I'm sure the time will fly. The break will do you good. 4 months is a good length of time - you won't have enough time to get past that wonderful honeymoon period that every new job brings. Then you'll be back here, refreshed and ready to rock and roll.

Good luck
nineisone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Naturegirl.

I am sure the 4 months will give you the needed time to reflect on your experience in Peru and give you the motivation to continue on.

Until then, enjoy the 1st world comforts of Seoul, make some money, and get refreshed from your daily grind.
highlander_2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
I was in Peru in 2005, working in Chachapoyas and you helped me out quite a bit with advice on job hunting. Just to let you know, I too made the move to Korea and am working at a university here, down in the south.

As awesome as this place can be, and as stressful as the multiple job/nightmare hours and wages that barely covered rent in Peru were, I look forward to heading back there some day to rekindle old friendships. Like other posters have said, enjoy the mod-cons of Seoul and once you've had enought (4 months should do it!) you should be raring to get back to the Southern hemisphere and the husband!

Check the Korean forum out if you get chance, as there is someone trying to get a Spanish study/social group together. Problem for you would be it is in Busan, but a fast train down and back once a month wouldn't damage the bank account too much. If not, I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities to keep the Spanish level up in Seoul.

All the best
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-m really missing Peru. Sorry about the typos, the keyboard-s weird. So 25 hours in planes, 52 hours of travelling, then I arrived in Seoul, waited about an hour to get luggage then customs. Then an hour to another terminal and then I called to have someone pick me up and the number-s disconected. I figured that after waiting for four hours, the man would figure out that I landed and pick me up. But no go. So not I-m stuc,k at a super expensive hotel with one night costing more than we spend on groceries for a month. HOpe these four months are worth it. If not I-ll be home in Lima befpore the end of the year.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi NG, glad you arrived safely. make sure you keep the receipt ! Smile

you'll stay active on the ESL Korea forum?
nineisone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a long trip! Definately present a receipt for your lodging and have your employer cover the tab. I was only in Korea for two months and I learned two things:

1. Be persistent: Koreans tend to be very indirect about most things and you will need to pursue all angles to get any conflicts resolved.

2. Getting things done in Korea is like pulling teeth if you get little support from your school and are unfamiliar with the language or Eastern cultures.

Take one minor experience, for example. I spent 5 minutes in conflict with a cashier at the nearest Emart in Seoul. I proceeded to checkout with numerous items and after the cashier scanned them through and I paid, she started to scan the next customers items. Thinking that this must be one of those "bag it yourself" operations, I reached by the counter for a bag, only to have the cashier firmly nod her head no. After several hand gestures and weak attempts at Korean, I learned bags are not free and you have to ask for one in advance of your purchase. So even though it was obvious that I needed a bag to carry the items out of the store, I was not offered to purchase one at the time of the sale and had to go to the back of the line just to purchase a bag.

Korea is so filled with cultural expectations and every Korean is born knowing how to navigate it but take this one little experience of mine and multiply it by about 20x weekly, and Korea can grate on the nerves of many. It's the little things that quickly wear you down.

Outside of that, you can look forward to walking on clean and safe streets(always a plus). And if you want to have fun, smile and say hello on the sidewalk to any of the passion-less zombies you see daily(they never smile), and wait for the ineviatble he/she must be crazy look you get in return.

There's a reason why Koreans are the only ethnic group in Los Angeles to retreat to their rooftops with shotguns at the ready at the mere rumor of a riot.

Good Luck.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-ve kept the receipt for the taxi and the hotel.

I-m familiar with Eastern Culture, it-s all coming rushing back to me.

The bag thing sounds funny. I just went to the Mini Stop, but luckily got a bag for free.

Thing is I thought that there were tons of foreigners here and that most Koreans spoke English. But I-ve found out not only do most not speak English, nor do they speak Spanish or Chinese.
nineisone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea struck me as a much more homogenous culture than some of its far east neighbors. I was also surprised that so little English is spoken when you take into consideration how gung ho Korea is to have ESL taught and required for young people.

But there are positive things. The subway system is modern, clean, and efficent. Costs are high but not outrageous like Japan. I'm sure things will improve the more settled in that you get. Beware before posting on the Korea forum. Lots of bloodsuckers who have nothing of value to add. Try the Galbijim(sp?) forums for better info.
marg252

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a month now. How's it going? I'm over here in Shanghai. Not the hugest fan of this part of the world, to be honest. But, there are nice things and kind people. I look forward to making the move to SA after the year.

Best of luck to you! I hope you're doing well.
teflcapie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you back in Peru yet, Naturegirl?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, been back for about a month and a half, luckily landed a great job at the british international school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: