Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to teach in Lima, but I need some advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: I want to teach in Lima, but I need some advice. Reply with quote

First off, let me Introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I'm currently in my 3rd year of schooling at the University of Missouri. I'm getting my degree in International Business with an emphasis in Spanish. I visited Peru this past summer and fell in love with the people and the place. I've been reading these boards for the past month and have really found a lot of helpful information, but I still have some questions.

If I want to work in Lima should I take the Maximo Nivel TEFL course in Cusco, or is there a similar course in Lima that might get me Lima connections?

Is it possible for me to plan ahead and secure a position for when I graduate, or is this the type of thing where one can't really plan ahead? I have already emailed 2 companies in Lima and still haven't recieved a response. The 2 companies I emailed were Buisness Links, and MBE. I figured that my background in business would be suitable for teaching business english.

I would rather teach children, but it seems that most places in Lima are universities or business organizations, is this true?

Anyone who reads this have experience in Lima please tell me about it. It seems the majority of informaiton I have found is about Cusco and Maximo Nivel.

Thanks!
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact NatureGirl, she's in country right now...i think LunaChica also

im sure there are more options than just MaximoNivel ---

try and get your Celta/Delta/TEFL

even better, why don't you take over NatureGirl's classes!! she's leaving soon??

but good luck, you'll have 40 screaming teenage girls....but, you're young -- fresh out of college
KevinP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. I don't know if I could deal with 40 screaming teenage girls.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...better get used to it Smile don't forget your "class-management" technique books and motivational exercises....you'll need it Smile

also, don't give in --- you're young, and they'll eat you alive unless you get tough with them....especially test / homework dates!
KevinP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, advice is always good.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the UPL for list of courses, they're in Cusco and Trujillo and Arequipa. Institutes aren't going to hire you from overseas. Schools, like secondary schools will.

Best is to email schools now, to start in Feb. Or come and plan to work for institutes.

I'm in LIma, been here for one year and was in Piura for two. Feel free to email me.
KevinP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Smile I'll probably be emailing you shortly with other questions.
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the CELTA certificate in the US before you come. It will arm you will both the practical and theoretical knowledge oyu will need to teach effectively and enjoy it. It is also one of the best recognised courses. It takes a month full time, you could probably do it in your uni vacations.

I am in Trujillo if you want any specific info about Trujillo.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yes, good advice LunaChica...the CELTA is a great certificate. plus, you'll get a lot of ideas for teaching materials, etc to bring (e.g. infocus machine) which are invaluable in L.America because they are so lacking. if i were to go tomorrow to PERU, id have a laptop full of pronunciation excercises, lessons, and an InFocus machine.
KevinP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I was planning on going to Cusco this summer and taking the TEFL course from Maximo Nivel. I figured it would be a good idea to get the TEFL from the country that I'd like to work in, plus they might be able to find me a job in Lima.

What is this InFocus machine you are talking about?
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...the InFocus machine connects to your laptop and you can dislpay your laptop screen on any wall, in any class. so you could be in the middle of the jungle, some poor village, and you can put karaoke, exercises, everything on the wall...

check www.ebay.com for used ones..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: