Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qualifications in Asia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
American English pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Qualifications in Asia Reply with quote

Hi all...
I have been teaching ESL for a LONG time...probably before most of the certification courses came into play.
What I'd like to know is, when/how does experience count the same or more than 'qualifications'? Or, at least, offset some or most of the 'usual' listed requirements?
Thanks in advance.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you have is a certificate (no degree), then you can't get a work visa in Japan unless you have 3 or more years of experience.

If you go the route of working holiday visa, then neither a degree nor certification matters. You might have a slight edge with experience, but it all depends on the employer. Before NOVA filed for bankruptcy protection, it wouldn't even hire WHV holders unless they had a year or two of university.

Most entry level jobs in Japan don't care about teachers having certification. Some that do will pay little to nothing more for it.

Why are you worried? You have lots of experience. Don't you have a degree?
American English pilot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenski!
No...I don't have a 'degree'. I began university shooting toward electrical engineering with a pre-med 'minor'. In my 3rd year, I hooked up on a killer job (1979) and basically, never looked back-until the telecomm crash of 12/2000!. I've been an ESL teacher for over 11 years, written my own textbooks (pronunciation, American accent/intonation training, among others) and done a whole lot of other stuff too.
What are my chances in Asia outside of the Philippines?
Thanks!
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have that much experience and can provide proof of employers for at least 3 of those 11 years, you qualify for a work visa, regardless of lacking a bachelor's degree, as far as Japan is concerned.

Don't know your time frame, but now to February is a bad time to look here traditionally, and with the largest conversation school filing for bankruptcy and putting thousands of teachers on the street, the market is more flooded than usual.

I don't know about visa regulations in other countries, so sniff around and be sure to mention that experience.
American English pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenski!
Thank you very much for the information! I always thought that my experience, which is documented, HAD to be worth something. I've also always thought that the degree requirement was more for new teachers. However, that being said, every advertisement I see and/or responded to has the degree requirement. It seems that they won't look beyond the lack of degree to the amount of experience I have.
Would you recommend that I contact schools directly then? Or, are agencies still an option for me?
Thanks in advance!
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by "agencies" you mean middlemen, I'd say skip them. Why deal with a middleman anyway? Some will even charge you!

Your cover letter is probably the first thing an employer will look at. Be sure that you write something in the second paragraph about your experience equalling a degree, and that you hope the employer feels the same way, and that you realize such experience makes you eligible for a work visa in any case.
American English pilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenski,
Thanks for your great advice! I just knew that the degree requirement HAD to be for new teachers and that experience HAD to count for something. Sounds like it might be a little more difficult to get somewhere, but it DOES sound 'doable'.
I will start contacting schools direct (Japan, Korea and Taiwan) and see what happens. I'll try to let you know how it works out.
Thanks again and hope things are well with you!
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Qualifications in Asia Reply with quote

American English pilot wrote:
qualifications

quali...

qualifi...

qualifica.....what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: