Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans teaching ESL in Canada?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulkanski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Americans teaching ESL in Canada? Reply with quote

Hi, I am from Seattle but I am interested in working and teaching in Vancouver next year. Having done a bit of searching on the net, it seems there are a lot more jobs in Vancouver than south of the border. Have any Americans ever worked in Vancouver or other Canadian cities? Are there schools or academies that would allow Americans to work there? I have a TESOL Certificate and 4 years exp, plus I'm planning to a DELTA early next year.

Any advice on Vancouver would be appreciated. Even info on living there and teaching in general would be nice to hear. Thanks,

M
VanKen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Americans teaching ESL in Canada? Reply with quote

mulkanski wrote:
Hi, I am from Seattle but I am interested in working and teaching in Vancouver next year. Having done a bit of searching on the net, it seems there are a lot more jobs in Vancouver than south of the border. Have any Americans ever worked in Vancouver or other Canadian cities? Are there schools or academies that would allow Americans to work there? I have a TESOL Certificate and 4 years exp, plus I'm planning to a DELTA early next year.

Just one question. Do you have a work permit?
mulkanski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Americans in Vancouver Reply with quote

No, I don't have a work permit. Does that preclude from interviews, jobs, etc.? Anything done under the table??
VanKen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Americans in Vancouver Reply with quote

mulkanski wrote:
No, I don't have a work permit. Does that preclude from interviews, jobs, etc.? Anything done under the table??

Without a work permit I can't see any of the established schools employing you. All the established schools are members of CAPLS and as such MUST hire only legal teachers who have received their training from an establishment that is recognized by TESL Canada. Sad
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Americans in Vancouver Reply with quote

mulkanski wrote:
No, I don't have a work permit. Does that preclude from interviews, jobs, etc.?

yes.

Quote:

Anything done under the table??

For jobs that a tonne of Canadians want and have experience and training in?

Probably not. But there's always a chance that an employer would risk paying an illegal to do something that they can often get a legal, local person with appropriate training (which is something you may lack) and experience to do for free for a short time.

Rolling Eyes
choctawmicmac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: "Canada first" Reply with quote

What the "Canada first" part of the employment rules in Canada really mean is people who got their education in Canada and their experience and references here in Canada.

This not only rules out Americans and Mexicans but Canadian-born First Nations (Native Americans) who were educated in the USA or anywhere else but Canada.

Lots of jobs...for Canadian-educated and Canadian-experienced. Not for outsiders.

That's the part they "forget" to mention. There's no such thing as truth in advertising up here. You can't even threaten to sue for false advertising, since there's no law requiring truth in advertising to base your lawsuit on.

I'm in the same boat! Born here and educated in San Francisco. Can't get a job to save my life here in my own country!!
VanKen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Canada first" Reply with quote

choctawmicmac wrote:
What the "Canada first" part of the employment rules in Canada really mean is people who got their education in Canada and their experience and references here in Canada.

No, it means jobs go to Canadians first and foremost,or to people from other countries who can secure a work permit.

choctawmicmac wrote:
This not only rules out Americans and Mexicans but Canadian-born First Nations (Native Americans) who were educated in the USA or anywhere else but Canada.

I'd be very surprised if you were ruled unacceptable based on where you got your education. Most likely, your TESL training (if you have it) is from an institution that is not recognized by TESL Canada.

choctawmicmac wrote:
Lots of jobs...for Canadian-educated and Canadian-experienced. Not for outsiders.

Well, what is it, then? Are you a Canadian or an "outsider"?
Symphany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Canada Reply with quote

choctawmicmac wrote:

Quote:

Unfortunately I see parallels here in my own experience, I came back from teaching a year overseas and its like I fell off the face of the earth. No one even glances at the time that I spent abroad. And its like my entire work history before I left went down the drain too (and I wasn't a fresh out of uni kid, I had worked for a few years and then decided to teach abroad, after doing a 1-year part time college certificate).

I can get jobs if I'm willing to accept the lowest paying jobs out there, teaching or non-teaching, and you don't even get looked at with a TEFL cert, you have to have a TESOL.

Quote:
I'm in the same boat! Born here and educated in San Francisco. Can't get a job to save my life here in my own country!!

I'm starting to feel the same way. Schools are rigid too, you can apply for a master's program but if you don't have an A++ average, forget it, so that pushes you to the Australian, English and American online degrees (or on campus if you can afford it). Its like, you're Candian if you can force yourself to fit a certain criteria (that includes those that are born here) and if not, you better find somewhere else to go, even if this is your home.
Symphany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

Woops I meant Canadian Very Happy
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is there are still many places on Earth that pay well for qualified and experienced Canadians to teach. Even if most aren't in Canada.

But yeah, back to the OP.. Americans teaching ESL in Canada, with Canada having more experienced ESL teachers per square meter than any other nation? That makes no sense.
Vanica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Canada first" Reply with quote

[quote="VanKen
I'd be very surprised if you were ruled unacceptable based on where you got your education. Most likely, your TESL training (if you have it) is from an institution that is not recognized by TESL Canada.[/quote]

My US master's in education is not recognised in Quebec.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The education system in Quebec is different than in the rest of Canada (as is the legal system). You would probably have more luck in any of the other provinces (assuming your MA isn't from the University of Phoenix, or something).
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the different provinces treat credentials from the US varies from province to province.

I got a written guarantee from my province's department of education that they would recognize my US degree before I did it. Their rule seemed to be, "if it's good enough to teach in schools in the same jurisdiction as your university, it's good enough for us." This was over 10 years ago, and could be obsolete information.
Rusty77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Americans teaching in Canada Reply with quote

I work at a private school in Ontario and one of the other teachers is American. She does indeed have a work permit, so of course this is imperative for Americans, but my point is that it's still possible to get a decent ESL teaching job here in Canada if you are American.
I returned from teaching overseas one month ago, and I had a full-time job (ESL teaching) 2 weeks after I arrived. I had 3 interviews at 3 different schools, all offered me positions-- I basically just had to choose the one that I liked most. I got the impression that the demand for qualified teachers here is high enough that one with a few years of teaching experience and a degree (plus TESL certificate) can quite easily get f-t work if the timing is right.
As far as the pay, of course it's not great, but much better than doing security or working in sales and even in a big city here you can earn a decent living.
adz595

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have americans working with me in Quebec but they were perment residents before hand.

Your best to apply for a 1 year working holiday visa get a job and then see if work will help sponsor you while you apply for permanent residency (there are brits at my work including me that are doing this just now)

depends on the school, employers mood and your performance really.

If you want a good paying job you have to have CELTA and be in a CAPLS school where they do get checked that they are employing university graduates with CELTA and have valid workpermits Smile

good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: