Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On not going to pot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note about weed in cambodia:

it is plentiful and cheap, but the quality is poor. All the good stuff is cultivated in order to be exported.

it is not as cheap as it was.

possession is technically illegal. if you make an enemy they can report you to the police, or rather pay the police, to put you in jail. Getting out costs money. On the other hand, the police will not take any interest in you unless there is the prospect of money in it for them.

you can pretty much smoke it anywhere, though users are somewhat careful these days about smoking it in certain cafes and bars

some cambodians smoke it in pipes at home

it makes you paranoid
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The kind of stuff they smoked in Vietnam... Reply with quote

darkpoet wrote:
In Eastern Canada (Halifax) this is a nearly-legal and almost-socially acceptable alternative to alcohol... If I was caught by a policeman smoking a joint, I doubt that I would get much more than a fine or community service.

By "nearly-legal", I assume you are referring to the decriminalization of marijuana. It is still illegal to possess, use, or distribute marijuana. The difference is that now you won't go to jail for it if the amount in your possession is relatively small (not sure exactly, I think 30 grams or less) and is for your own personal use. You will be charged, however...similar to a traffic violation. More than 30 g. and you will face jail time. Trafficking is almost guaranteed to get jail time. As for pot being an "almost socially acceptable alternative to alcohol", it may be among your peers, but the majority of people in NS will still consider it a most unacceptable alternative.

I'm not trying to flame you, by the way. I just don't want people to read your comments and draw incorrect conclusions about Eastern Canada.
ntropy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Friend Told Me... Reply with quote

The active ingredient in marijuana is TetraHydraCannibinol (THC). It is a fat-soluble substance. For pot to be effective when digested, you must first heat it up in some fatty media like milk or oil. The proper Hindu way is to boil it in (sacred cow) milk.
Quote:

I knew this but really didn't think much about it, but your post brought up a question: Why do Rastafarians give it to youth as tea when it's not water soluble?
been_there

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THC attaches itself to fat rather well, but some of it can come out when boiled in water. I'm not saying that boiling it in water has NO effect, just that if you want the FULL effect, heat it up in some fatty substance (oil for brownies/cookies, milk for drinking). Perhaps Rastas do tea for kids because the effects are milder. Dunno, never taught English in Jamacia... Laughing
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of excellent hashish available in the ME especially in Saudi and Kuwait.
Not good to get caught thou...heavy penalties
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: query Reply with quote

I note that there was a big drug bust at sea in the gulf this past week (20th dec 2003). Who were the intended customers, do you know? It's not every day that we hear about bid busts inthe middle east. I was thinking it must have been on its way to the US troops in Qatar or thereabouts. Any ideas?
been_there

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by been_there on Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark100

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge market for hashish in the ME.
In the ME it is very popular with the locals.
In Muslim states where alcohol is frowned upon hashish can often be the drug of choice.
The hubbly bubbly can contain more than just flavoured tobacco!
endo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: On not going to pot Reply with quote

Sorry guys - discussions of where to get illegal drugs are taboo on Dave's
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions/comments/etc.
Paladin
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the above post.
Paladin
endo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info khmerhit. I take it you've been to Angkor - what a beautiful place - can't wait to go there in a year or two.

Darkpoet, I advise that you go somewhere where you can't smoke pot for a year (Korea, Japan, ect...). It will be good on you lungs (especially if you smoke alot) and it will teach you some discipline. Plus when your contract ends you can fly to Cambodia or some other weed-friendly destiniation, and when you smoke a J after a year off, it will feel like its your first time all over again.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: