Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

la selva

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sistaray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: la selva Reply with quote

Hello. I�m currently teaching in Lima, and curious about but not dead set on, moving to the Peruvian Amazon. I would assume that the opportunities exist in the larger cities, i.e. Iquitos, Pucallpa, Chachapoyas, Tarapoto.

If anybody knows any teacher, any institute, university, etc -- basically has any contacts that they�d care to share, could they post or PM me? ESL Cafe tells me I need 25 posts before I can PM someone, even though I�d been doing it for months -- maybe this is a new rule?

thank you
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just the PM thing is new. I know that in Iquitos, there �s ICPNA, I think. But you'll probably have to just go there and work for them. There's also a couple of places in Chacapoyas, try emailing them, I think it's a type of volunteer thing where they give you room and board and Spanish, but little pay, the guy who runs one of them in called Angel.
Personally I don't know anyone in those places, you mnight also try posting on expatperu.com or livinginperu.com
Also, there's a uni in Iquitos
highlander_2005

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: La Selva Reply with quote

I lived in Chachapoyas for four months during the early part of 2005. It is an awesome place if you want to learn Spanish as next to no one speaks English in a town of 25 000 people. Only thing is, it's not really "La Selva" more like the "el bosque nube". It's 2500 metres up in the Andes and also a great place to get fit as the air is a little thin up there.

There is a science tech school called Alfred Nobel, who may be hiring around the March time. There is a university close by who have a language program and a guy called Fidel who runs a couple of schools. If things haven't changed much, you can find him just by going there and hitting the plaza mayor around 9pm and just asking around.

After that, it's an awesome place to strike out to the jungle/Kuelap.

Email my mate, Rob Dover at [email protected] or just google the name and go to the website.

If you think I can be of anymore help just post, I have the same issue with PMs as you!
nineisone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for Tarapoto. I remember someone else posting about trekking out to that city a year or so ago. Possibly you could PM that poster for info.

Britanico has a branch in Iquitos. I believe Keepwalking verified that it was still open earlier in the year. Problem with la selva is that the ESL market is so small and there are not a lot of unis to promote the teaching of English. Trujillo and Chiclayo have lots of college students who come west for the educational opportunities including learning English.
sistaray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.

I emailed both Rob Dover and Fidel, no word back yet. The thing with Fidel was, there were multiple email addresses floating around on like a dozen different ad-posting sites (I�ve tried 3). Maybe somebody has his current one?
sistaray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody heard of anything in Pucallpa?
sistaray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that was vague. Anything = posters who�ve taught there

Yes, I�m trying extremely hard to hit 25 posts. This new PM rule is silly.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're almost there, keep posting. Fidel's email, the only ones I have are on the LA JOb List. DId you try there.

And the only places I've heard foreigners teaching is Piura, Trujillo, Lima, Arequipa, and Cusco. I'm sure there's plaes to teach at other than these, but these are big cities and they pay decently.
nineisone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add Chiclayo, Huancayo, Iquitos and Tacna to naturegirls list of cities that also employ ESL instructors. Not to mention Casma(seek employment at your own risk). The demand to teach in the jungle far outweighs the market size. Again good luck and cast a wide net in your search.
sarsparilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to clear up for posterity one of the issues.

The email for Fidel Elera's school in Chachapoyas is the one on NatureGirl's blog ([email protected]), and his school's called ILC. You can use [email protected] if the hotmail version or the blog stop functioning. The pay is not comparable to big cities down south, but (as sistaray can testify) the expenses are nowhere near comparable, either. I'm Fidel's wife, and there's a school in Bagua Grande also.

Rob Dover is a good contact in Chacha, also, but doesn't always reply, and his school, English Direct, is no longer functioning.

If you're into combining volunteering on coffee plantations with TEFL work, I believe there's opportunities in Leimebamba.
http://www.idealist.org/if/idealist/en/SiteIndex/Search/search?assetTypes=VolunteerOpportunity&keywords=leymebamba&keywordsAsString=leymebamba&languageDesignation=en

There is also an ICPNA in Tarapoto, which is a really nice place, and actual selva, rather than sierra - not least because there's an expat Italian community there which means the food has another dimension.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, just updated the info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: