Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A positive experience of Teaching in Greece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: A positive experience of Teaching in Greece Reply with quote

I would just like to briefly post a comment on my experience of teaching in Greece. I applied for a position through Anglo Hellenic, they located one for me promptly in Ilioupoli, Athens, and briefed me on the terms and conditions of employment and what to expect when I arrived there. As I am an inexperienced teacher, Anglo Hellenic purposely sought to find me a position where I would be surrounded by experienced native speaking teachers who could support me in my first year. I am very appreciative of their efforts and care in this regard as I have found the help and advice of my colleagues to be invaluable.

The school where I work is in a lovely suburb. It is well run and the administrative staff and management are very helpful. I have found a lot of support internally and I have received very positive and constructive feedback. This has helped me to improve my teaching. There is a clear structure in the school where I work, as a new teacher, not having to do everything on an ad-hoc basis is a blessing. My students are, for the most part, very pleasant to teach, and I find the job very rewarding, particularly when the students show a keen interest and contribute positively as the majority do. My British and Irish colleagues have been very helpful and supportive, not just with regard to the educational side of teaching life, but also by showing me around Athens and helping me to become more familiar with and comfortable with the nuances of life in Greece.

My experience of teaching has so far been very positive. I would recommend Greece to anyone considering a TEFL position abroad. Our accomodation is basic but, then, I never expected to live in the lap of luxury anyway. I am very happy with my decision to move to Greece.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post and something to think about. Are you teaching young people or adults.
seanh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young people, the school teaches AP to Prof, vast majority are school kids
cpiers47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Citizenship? Reply with quote

What is your citizenship? I'm looking at teaching in Greece and was wondering how hard it was for nonEU, etc. to get a permit and position at a school.
Thanks,
Carrie
seanh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the EU so it was easy for me. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of teaching if you're from America but I do know of two Americans who are teaching out here so it can't be too hard. Contact Anglo Hellenic if you want more info or check some of the other posts on this site, I think there are some related ones. Good Luck!
Crash! Bang!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPIERS47

did you apply to Via Lingua? what has your experience with them been? I am an American and interested in their course, also. Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.
cpiers47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't started the process yet - I have 1 more year at the school I'm currently teaching in and then will probably start looking at international schools.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a discussion about Via LIngua and whether they can get you legal work permits on the thread 'working as an ESL in Greece,' which I've just bumped up in response to this question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: