Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bringing children all for the adventure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: bringing children all for the adventure Reply with quote

I am interested in teaching in South Korea,but I am the mother of 3 children ages 14-8. Does anyone have any success stories of teachers with children? I have a million questions - are there any english schools they could attend, are there many english speaking children to play with, are there any sports teams they could join? I am very interested in making this trip but only with all the kids. Any advice?
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Think It Over Carefully Reply with quote

Are you contemplating teaching at a hakwon(private school)?If so,you should check out the Korean Discussion Section on Dave's cafe and also the Job Journal Section on Dave's Cafe,if you have not already done that.There are often problems with teaching at hakwons,whether or not you come with your family.

In my estimation Korea is a very nice country(I am teaching here now),but I do not know if iIwould recommend that someone,especailly someone bringing htree children,start a new job here right now.If you do decide to do it,do your research and planning carefully before you come.It should not be a decision made on the spur of the moment.Best of luck. Smile
sally

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: good advise Reply with quote

Thank-you for the advise. I have been thinking about it for awhile but I definitely want alot of information before I bring my children anywhere. I think it would be such a great opportunity for them to see another culture and meet new friends, but I need it to be safe. Is there a place to teach that you might reccommend instead of Korea?
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Consider Japan... Reply with quote

Considering the current world situation,etc.,I suggest that you consider Japan.The Middle East is definitely not a good place to go now for obvious reasons,especially for someone with a family.Most jobs in eastern Europe and Latin America would not pay you enough to support your family,so I suggest that you look at opportunities in Japan.

Due to the current world situation,war with Iraq,etc.,it is really a shaky time to go overseas to teach.HOPEFULLY(but who knows?) the war will come to a swift end.In the meantime,I suggest you start researching Japan.There are often job listings on the Jobs Offered Forum on Dave's Cafe.Try to contact any schools directly.it is not such a good idea to use recruiters.Best of luck. Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: education for the kids Reply with quote

Who will pay for the children's education ? You will have to pay and the price may come as a shock to you. I continue to teach in the Middle East largely because my employer here pays an allowance which allows me to send the offspring to a school here in Saudi Arabia. (About $8,000 per annum)
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a single mother? If you are married, where will your husband be working? Just wondering because then maybe we could give you some more information.
Personally I would suggest Korea over Japan simply because the cost of living is so much cheaper, and they also pay for all the start up costs, which will make it so much easier for someone with children.
Korea pays both airfare and housing, sometimes also half-utilities. Some jobs will even spring for a cell phone for you during the course of your visit.
I used to work in Korea, and there was a married couple at my job who brought their children with them, and they had MORE than three kids! I am not sure, but I think that all their flights were paid. Korean housing is rather small so the kids might be cramped, but the money you save on rent will be worth it. I heard that international schools here are quite expensive, but you could consider home-schooling your children when you are not at work (set it up through their schools where you are from, and take the teaching materials with you.) At the school where I worked, the married couple brought their kids with them to work everyday also, maybe your employer will let you do this.
Have fun and good luck.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Medical Cover ? Reply with quote

Here is something else to consider :
Who will provide medical cover for the children ?

You really have to do a lot of research before just heading off to east Asia with the family. With the costs of medical cover and schooling you may well end up with a minus figure at the end of the month. If that is what you want to do, go ahead.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Sally Reply with quote

Looks like Sally realised that moving with three kids to teach in South Korea is not the same proposition as going to South Dakota.

Why is it when people want to see another culture they think they will just go and teach there ? You know : " I thought it would be neat to see the South of France. I think I will go to the Cote d'Azur and teach there."
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: inappropriate ? Reply with quote

It seems that one of the functions of these posts is to tell people that they cannot practically get into TEFL. Like the guy with zero educational qualifications who thinks he does not need a degree. Or the mother with three children who had not realised that someone would have to pay for their education and health care.

What gets me is the ones who say :"There MUST be a way I can go and teach English in Kwazulu ! It is my God-given right to do this ! Why are you telling me that I can't ? You have some ulterior motive ! You are a bitter twisted male chauvinist !"

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: given up Reply with quote

Looks like the lady has given up ! Maybe she has realised that not everyone can just head off to Korea or Wherever and do a spot of English Teaching. Come to think of it I have a notion tpo be a 747 pilot. Might be cool. How do I pick up a job in that line.
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: The "Friendly"Skies..Sure You Want to Do That...? Reply with quote

Yeah,Albubul,a pilot would undoutedly make more $$$$ than a TESOL teacher Laughing Rolling Eyes ,but there are downsides to everything...a pilot?Hijackings....terrorism....plus I hear a lot of the airlines are in serious trouble...curtailing flights....sacking people...how about brain surgeon?(well,but, then there is that malpractice insurance thing....)
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: buses Reply with quote

I dunno. I see a lot of nice buses being driven everywhere. That looks like a nice job, driving one of them. I could do that. I am pretty sure I could drive one of them. Where do I apply for a job ? Do I need a certificate or ? I've been a passenger in buses thousands of times. Looks easy just driving that thing.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: did she find the answer ? Reply with quote

Did the lady find the answer ? I mean to the question about who would pay for her kids' English-medium school while she was teaching in Korea ?
sally

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: she never asked the question Reply with quote

Actually the lady had never asked who would pay for her children's education. I asked about schools they could attend. I hadn't intended that anyone would foot the bill - although it has been fun listening to you guys come up with your own conclusions about my intentions, misconceptions and total lack of understanding about this field. I have, however recieved some good advice and I thank those of you who offered it.

I guess I wasn't clear in my original message so I will start again. I am a teacher with an English degree and 15 years of International business experience and I still want to go oversees to teach with my children. After talking to people who are overseas teaching I know I will be home schooling my own children. I am looking for a situation where I would live a walking distance from the school. I am also still interested in South Korea. Does anyone have any recommendations on which schools or recruiters to apply to or specific cities or towns?
chi-chi

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't really know of anyone good to recommend....so you didn't mention if you will have a husband coming with you....that's a factor. The couple I knew had two incomes teaching, it may be harder with just one.
In Korea it is often possible to live within walking distance of where you work, and in some cases take your children to work, or work part-time while you home-school them. Obviously this is made easier if a husband is also teaching full time. I don't know if one teacher's income could support three children, though you could give it a shot.
If you do decide to do this, I still say Korea hands down, b/c in Korea you won't have to worry about coming up short on your rent. The Middle East has too much going on right now. However, you may want to correspond with your future employer and ask about what type of visas your children would need, and would they be covered under health insurance??
One thing I would like to mention....this field is extremely unstable. Schools open and close on a whim. The politics of a region can change without notice. Do not expect any sort of job security that you would have back home. Be prepared to live out of a suitcase and leave at a moment's notice if things go to shit. Make sure your children know the reality of the situation, also.
For example, it is possible to go through 3-4 schools a year in Korea if your schools close due to money problems. Or you may be paid late. Having children adds a whole new dimension to this. Back in Feb, many people were getting emails with evacuation plans from their home countries embassies, due to the situation with North Korea. In Taiwan, China, and Hong Kong, many schools are closing due to SARS.
If a school closes, your children don't eat. I wouldn't recommend doing this alone...
Chi-Chi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: