Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council, or some other program? Advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsamp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: British Council, or some other program? Advice? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So glad to have found this forum. I've been looking it over the past couple of days and have had a lot of my questions answered.

But, I'm still trying to decide how to g about sending myself to Romania for a teaching position. I'm reading the British Council is a good way, but I've also come across some programs on the internet that offer to send me as well, some for $2000 USD (Central European Teaching Program) and some lower...

I'm 23, American, a college grad, smart, and no nothing of the Romanian language (yet) but would like to travel there and experience the culture and people. I'm aware of the economic conditions (not thriving for most).

Do any of you experienced ones have some advice on this? Should I try? Is it hopeless?

Thanks for the help,
walker
duke4077

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsamp, I think I'm in your boat, except I'm thinking of heading out NEXT summer. I'm 26, about to get out of the school loans. Only thing I can add is that the email links for contact info for CETP are not active.... not very reassuring. Their info is the most solid I've come across so far. Have you called them?

Romania seems like the most welcoming but least visited place, which makes this forum a little slow. Anybody with a recent experience would be most welcome!

also, there is a religiously affiliated group that'll do Eastern Europe, teachoversees.org, but the money you have to raise is pretty ridiculous.
wsamp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: hmmm.. Reply with quote

Yes, the non-functioning email address is not a good sign. Now if it were just a long time replying, understandable.

No, I haven't tried to get in touch with them by phone.

I did see the a Christian group supporting folks over there, but the support is minimal, and not something I could afford.

I too am looking into Romania because it seems like it might be more welcoming than other countries. I have qualms with cultural globalization so I don't want to be a part of it. My hope is that in Romania I could try and sink into the culture as much as possible and teach some English to help some students get a leg up in the globalized economy/job market, a trend I don't see ever stopping, and which is not necessarily bad.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been in Romania for about 8 months now so if you have any questions I'll be pleased to answer them to the best of my ability.

There are very few options for teaching in Romania and the wages are not too good by Romanian standards and can be very misleading. A typical Romanian earns only about 200 Euro per month and wage offers of the 300-400 Euro per month mark may seem very tempting. However, it's not quite as simple as that. Most Romanians own their own houses, and frequently own other properties from which they earn rent. They also earn a lot of undeclared money. Parents also support their kids to a greater degree than we are maybe used to.

I recently polled my students (average age: 25-30) and only one of them didn't own his own house outright, as he still had a small loan outstanding.

Anyway, when considering posts here don't forget that your money will have to go a lot further than any of your Romanian friends'. As a rough guide, my basic expenses (rent, electricity, water, gas, phone, block admin fees) come to about 235 Euro per month. I live a little outside the centre of Bucharest, reasonably nice area, one-room studio flat.

For job hunting you might try contacting International House which has recently opened (again?) in Bucharest. I don't know how much they pay and what their conditions are but there's no harm in trying. Most of the smaller Romanian language schools (of which there are few) couldn't afford to pay a native speaker a wage (for the above reasons) and stick to local talent.

Good luck,

Mike
dtomchek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man:

Given your background, I would try the Peace Corps...I was in Poland from 1998-2000 and I had a blast...kind of a pain to get in as there is a lot of paperwork with physicals, etc but they pay for everything...we went to Transylvania to Count Dracula's castle on Halloween and it was a blast...probably too late for this year (they leave in July but you might be able to expedite your app if you are on the ball)...anyway good luck..

Dave
Bebsi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Getting to Romania Reply with quote

Quote:
we went to Transylvania to Count Dracula's castle on Halloween and it was a blast...probably too late for this year (they leave in July...

Isn't that an awfully long time to spend getting to Dracula's castle? leaving in July and hoping to get there for Hallowen? Confused

Actually, let me enlighten you all out there: By Dracula's castle, do you mean Bran Castle, about a half hour from Brasov? If so, I really hate to spoil the party but it has no associations with Dracula (either the novel or the historical figure of Vlad tepes) whatsoever. Bran was built as a sort of tax-gathering centre in the 14th century, and extensively renovated in the 19th. It was decided by the Communist government in the 1960s, when they took a notion to get into tourism, that Bran somewhat approximated the castle of the novel, due to its Disney-like appearance and proximity to Brasov, and sold it as a Disney-style attrraction. Who could blame them? It worked, and Bran actually draws in quite a lot of foreign revenue. It is now the centre of an extremely tacky tourist machine, and while it's a must-see (Emperor's clothes syndrome) on the tourist trail, no self-respecting Dracula fan would find it remotely of interest.

Where then should you go for authenticity? Well, Rasnov Fortress, about 10Km away, is far more forbidding and indeed, foreboding. It sits atop a heavily pine-forested hill, and its towering battlements with their dark empty windows, would give a far more sinister hint of possible horrors within, in the gloaming of an autumn evening. It has the athentic associations with Vlad in that he appears to have once defended it against an attack by the Turks.

However, while he ruled Wallachia, Vlad's main abode was Poenari Castle, not that far from Tirgoviste. This edifice perches on sheer crag and can only be reached by climbing over 1,000 steps. Now, THATS a place that has an atmosphere, and 4pm on a winter's afternoon is NOT the time to start out!!

In his novel, Bram Stoker actually set the castle in the Tihutsa Pass (the Borgo Pass of the novel), near Bargului in the north of Romania, between Bistrita and Vatra dornei. It is indeed a wild, ominous place and even in summer, the elements can unleash their full fury. We got caught there in a raging thunderstorm with torrential rain in late July, while most of Romania was basking in its usual summer sunshine. The drive from there down the Bistrita valley to Piatra Namt, was a truly memorable trip.

Do not, however, expect to see a real castle there. There is the Castle Dracula Hotel, a mock castle built relatively recently to suck the tourists dry, but there the vampire associations end.

Anyone who is genuinely interested in medieval history, and in folklore, should make the trip to Romania, which also has beautiful medieval towns such as Sighisoara, Sibiu and Brasov. It is also a wildlife lover's paradise, with vast areas of pine-clad mountain, wolves, wild-boar and even bears.

If you want a contrast, the cities are pretty vibrant, and Bucharest has a swinging nightlife scene (tho only in recent years) for anyone who takes the trouble to look. Romania is starting to emerge from the communist shell into a vibrant, energetic European country with an imaginative and creative young population.

Anyone who wants to PM me about Romania is free to do so Smile

Rock-On, Ro!!!!

Last edited by Bebsi on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
junkmail

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don't know; tax collecting/sucking the blood out of someone 'till they're dry - I think there's a relation. Wink
Bebsi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Blood-sucking! Reply with quote

...Yes...and like the Vampires of old, the tax-man has an enormous capacity, even today, to strike terror into the hearts of us all Crying or Very sad Shocked Evil or Very Mad

At least, the average vampire could be handled with a dash of garlic, a crucifix and a pointed piece of wood. Last time I waved a crucifix at a tax-collector he grabbed it from me as it was made of silver!!

Does that make the Gulf Arabs a sort of modern Van Helsing? Rolling Eyes
dtomchek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

Need to clear a couple of things up...I meant that the group of PC members bound for Romania leaves in July...The Halloween party took place in Ocotober of course...

2nd, I cannot tell you which castle it was in...just took the word of the PC members who were serving there...that being said, thank you for that wonderful display of GEEK BRAVADO Laughing Now I know all I ever wanted to know about the Count and his history...

That is all...
Bebsi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Need to clear a couple of things up...I meant that the group of PC members bound for Romania leaves in July...The Halloween party took place in Ocotober of course

What? You mean the Halloween party was in October? Does that mean that Halloween falls at the same time in Romania as everywhere else?

And did you really mean that the group leaves FOR ROMANIA in July? I didn't realise...I thought you meant they were leaving for Bran...or whatever...Castle in July. I have heard that the roads in Transylvania were not in great condition and that it takes some time to get anywhere!!

Thank you for those pieces of enlightenment. Now let me enlighten you regarding a very pertinent fact: Many people who post here, not least myself I must confess, engage in verbal urinary extraction from time to time, known to those less proficient with words as "pulling the piss". Who, I ask, is the real Geek here? Shocked

Matter of interest, who exactly ARE the PC members to whom you refer? Police Constables? Peace Commissioners? Politically Correct? Parsimonious Conmen?

Do enlighten me!! Confused

You went to a castle and didn't even know what it was called? I am assuming Bran, as it is the one most refer to as "Dracula's Castle". The PC people...yes, yes, I actually DO know who they are, I'm not as wordly-unwise as some in this forum....don't seem to be fully aware either of the destinations to which they take their members. So, they told you it was Dracula's Castle? They sold you a lemon, old boy Laughing Perhaps they were simply selling on the lemon that they were in turn sold by a combination of common myth and the Romanian Tourist Board. In fairness to the latter organisation, they are now promoting the other castles that I had mentioned as tourist venues also, and starting to play down the myth of Bran, while trying to protect the livelihoods of those already having vested interests in Bran.

With reference to your puerile dismissal of my expounding upon the subject of Dracula's Castle there are many people out there who actually like to be educated, entertained, enlightened and informed. I do assume however, that they are among the more open-minded, curious and intelligent among Dave's readers/subscribers!!!! For goodness sake, the caped count is one of the most endearing and enduring characters in popular fiction, and his namesake is a VERY important figure in the history of Romania and indeed eastern Europe generally).

As it happens, I myself witnessed an alarming degree of bloodsucking going on at Bran. The victims were not (the rather wimpy, IMO) Jonathan Harker or his altogether gutsier wife Mina, of course, but the coach loads of tourists queueing up to buy the tackiest "touristware" I have ever seen!! Laughing Dammit, there may even have been a few POOR C***Ts among them. Laughing Wink

Seriously though, why are there some people out there who scorn knowledge and enlightenment???? Sad
hennessym

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Can anyone give some info on British Council school in Roman Reply with quote

Can anyone give some info on British Council school in Romania and the wage?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try contacting Bebsi. He's there and should be able to help you out.
SITW99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council in Romania employ those with a degree and a CELTA or equivalent, plus two years post qualification teaching experience. A British educational background is also required, though I think that rule is applied quite 'flexibly'. More importantly, the vast majority of BC teachers are Dip qualified too, making it harder to get a job there without one.

As far as I know, the salary there is �600 a month (�700 with the Dip), plus a housing allowance that covers most people's rents, though rarely bills (�60 to �100 a month in winter). Though �700 a month sounds great in TEFL in central/eastern Europe, the guys I knew at the British Council in Romania weren't able to live off of that, needing exam work/private lessons/own savings to get by...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a woman, a Romanian who worked for them. I meet her in China, she said that in RO they didn't pay very well. Maybe they pay locals less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: