Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico vs Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Mexico vs Peru Reply with quote

Hello all. I am in Guadalajara, Mexico at the moment, but would love to check out Peru. I know it is wrong to Generalize, but what the heck?

What would you say are the biggest diffeernces between these two countries.

Price

Food

Friendliness of people

You get the drift.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the language is different. In Mexico it seems like they sing when they talk.
It might be cheaper in Peru, since Mexico is closer to the USA.
In Peru, they eat lots of potatoes and rice, also chicken.
As far as friendliness of the people, I think that would depend a lot on you and the people you interact with. You can find horrid people and extremely nice people wherever you go.
SoCalPata

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Hope this helps. Reply with quote

I cannot speak about Guadalajara, but I suppose I can give you my thoughts about Mexico City vs Lima. I lived in Mexico City for 6 months and have been living in Lima for the past month.

My first impression is that Mexico City is by far much easier to get around, due to there subway system, this was wonderful and made it easy for me to find places. (I'm from Los Angeles, and I wish LA had a subway system like DF.) In Lima, since I do not know the city that well, I usually just take the busses. I do not feel entirely safe taking taxis.

If I recall correctly, the prices are about the same. For a 2 bedroom apt in La Condesa (nice district of Mexico City) we paid $240. For a 2 bedroom apt in San Borja (nice district of Lima) I am paying $230. Also, a for a very nice 2 bedroom apt in Coyocan (in DF) we also paid about $250, but this was because my friends had lived there for years. So I don't know what the price would have been otherwise.

I seem to think the food was less expensive in DF, but it could have been because I was going the the University (UNAM) and food always tends to be less expensive around universities. I would pay may $1-2 for lunch there (a very delicious lunch, but maybe not good for me), whereas here, I seem to pay $2+, I need to work on the bargain hunting. I know you can find lunch here for about $1.50.

Oh and the language is different, to some extent...even from Columbia according to one of my Columbian friends who lives here, she is from Cali (Kali?) (I see your location is Medellin). Sometimes you will just have some moments where you are not sure what people are saying. But it is all good.

No other comments so far...I have only been here for a month and I am still getting used to the life here in Lima.

I would say as a note, that Arequipa and Trujillo are considerably less expensive than Lima. Arequipa seems to be the most affordable place of the three major cities. This is on my insight for living in both cities for about three weeks a piece.
rgamarra28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the language being different. I work with a lot of Mexicans in the United States, and if you go to a mexican store and ask for "Palta" (Avocado) they'll just look at you funny, (they say "Aguacate.") I laugh to myself, because to me most of the men sound like "Chavo del 8" or "Chapulin Colorado" when they speak as far as accent goes. I haven't figured out the different Mexican accents yet. Peruvians have different accents too, but that shouldn't conflict to much with understanding the language.

The only place in Mexico I ever visited was Tijuana so I can't really compare prices, but rent prices do depend on where you stay in Peru.

Pretty much everything is cheaper outside of Lima, but when in Lima you can find lunch for $1, even around the universities, Taxis will cost you more than a Combi or Moto Taxi which both will run you between S./1 - S./1.50 (30 cents +) compared to a taxi, which starts at S./3 (90 cents) depending on where you're going, just remember you'll have to pay the same price on the way back, so it can add up.

Lima is big and rather confusing at first, but the more you travel the more you learn, and people will generally tell you which areas to stay away from. Most foreigners like to box themselves in Miraflores, nothing wrong with that, but I recommend checking out Barranco or Chorrillos, you can find a place w/in walking distance to the ocean. Miraflores will definitely cost you MUCH more if you choose that option! I prefer to live outside of the "American" luxuries.

Household products are more expensive compared to N.American prices as well as personal items, so it may be wise to stock up in Mexico before you go.

Other than that, Peru has a very low cost of living, and as a foreigner you will be paid more than an average Peruvian, but don't expect to be filthy rich when you go down there.

As far as jobs go, I know that Lima has more opportunities for teaching due to it's size, but Arequipa, Trujillo and Cusco are good options too.

Check out Naturgirl's sticky: "The Ultimate Peru List," it's very insightful.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgamarra28 wrote:

Check out Naturgirl's sticky: "The Ultimate Peru List," it's very insightful.

Thanks!!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t have the time for a long post right now. I will say that I prefer Peru over Mexico any day. I don�t have much info about ESL jobs, but there are a number of schools here in Lima. I think that with the lower cost of living here in Lima Vs. DF its not a problem to make a living. Peruvians are in general more friendly and the anti-gringo sentiment doesn�t exist here. I am also sick of Mexican nationalism. Peru has its own type, but nothing like Mexico.

More info later.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
I don�t have the time for a long post right now. I will say that I prefer Peru over Mexico any day. I don�t have much info about ESL jobs, but there are a number of schools here in Lima. I think that with the lower cost of living here in Lima Vs. DF its not a problem to make a living. Peruvians are in general more friendly and the anti-gringo sentiment doesn�t exist here. I am also sick of Mexican nationalism. Peru has its own type, but nothing like Mexico.
More info later.

I think one of the reasons is because you live in Mexico and were visting Peru. The Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

What's the salary like in DF? Because in Lima, you'll probably only be making about 500 USD. Which is nice if you don't have a family or debt, but can get difficult, which is one reason why I'd like to get out of teaching. Ironically some of my friends have told us to go to Mexico because of the better pay there.

Antigringo sentiments can be less in some places, like Miraflores, What my husband gets a lot is wonderment of why he hasn't applied for a US resident or any visa yet. The thinking is that by marrying a gringo or gringa, that's your ticket to the USA.

ONe thing that I'm sick of is the whistling and catcalls.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still here in Peru. I have been in country just over a week. I can say that Americans are received better here. I don�t the angry, hostile stares all the time that I get in Mexico from Mexican men, especially when I am with my Peruvian wife. Like a Latina is only for Latinos (read Mexican machos).

Also, people don�t stare at me like an alien from Mars anywhere I am talking with my wife in English. That includes Callao, downtown, in the bus, or in the mall, not just in Miraflores.

The anti-US sentiment just doesn�t exist here like it does in Mexico. Maybe some people see gringo/a�s as a ticket out of Peru. Why not? If both people are happy, what�s the prob? I don�t believe in sham marriages, but people have the right to be happy with whoever they choose. And to live wherever they choose. Only the US govt. doesn�t seem to see it that way.

After 3 years in Mexico I know enough to understand the differences between Mexico and Peru. I am very happy that I happened to meet and fall in love with a Peruvian girl. I think that Peru is a better place. Period. Maybe living here would be tough, but it�s no cake walk in Mexico City, either.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All saI'm saying is that you're only in Peru for three weeks. You can't really know what the culture's like first hand that way.
nineisone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a poor choice to respond to any general Mexico vs. Peru comparisons as I have only visited la frontera in Mexico and lived only in the north in Peru, but I would second some of the Prof. Gringo's observations. Obviously, with Mexico and its historical hostilities with the U.S., most of which are understandable, full immersion into society is probably met with a little more resistance in Mexico than a South American country with a little bit more security in its autonomy. Not to say that there aren't a lot of ill feelings built up against the U.S. from historical wrongs in many of these nations, but I feel more at ease in my travels in South America than when I traveled through Central America and briefly visited Mexico.

In regards to relationships, this may differ along gender lines. The type of Machismo in Mexico always struck me as that of the protectionist sort for the female natives giving way to lots of leers from Mexico males to Gringos interested in dating. No such problems for the gringa looking to partake in her Menudo fantasies. In Peru, this border seemed less pronounced and I mostly received pats on the back from various native men while out dating natives.

I have read many accounts of those living in the D.F. and other Mexico cities who are happy, content, and feel accepted and live a lifestyle they would not trade. Many gringos date freely and without bad consequences, so everyone's perspective varies. Best thing to do is explore for yourself and let your experience inform your answer.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I don't have the macho problem since I'm a gringa married to a Peruvian, but I don't look like a gringa, so can't tell you what that's like.

I think I might be a little jaded because here in Korea Ive got an easier life compared to Peru where I worked a ton for little money. Here it's the opposite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: