Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benefit entitlements for a Post Grad Student?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Benefit entitlements for a Post Grad Student? Reply with quote

I need some help please;

I've been teaching in the Middle East for the last few years but have now been accepted onto an MA back in the UK. Problem is that I'm working out my finances and as I don't have a home (back home Confused ) then the cost is going to be just too much for me.

I'm trying to get some clear advice (but doing it from out here in Saudi is just not getting me anywhere Sad )on what benefits I may be entitled to if I come back to the Uk to enter the MA. There seems to be so much info on the web and confusion about what benefits you're entitled to as a post grad. student. I think if I was doing a PGCE then you're def. entitled to something but what about a straight MA student?

There's me and common law Wife (not working) and 5 children (under 10)....can anybody advise me? I figure if I can claim housing benefit and either me or my wife are entitled to some support plus the child support then we should be able to make it through the year?

Thanks for any input!
basiltherat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, Id look into something called ''Working Families Tax Credit''.There should be something on that on the web. Try a search.regards
Basil
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Basiltherat,

Just did a web search but the working familys tax is not applicable as I'll be studying full time and my wife is at home with the kids.

Any other info please?

Thanks
Frater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about benefits but 'you may be entitled to' a Career Development Loan.

Information at www.lifelonglearning.co.uk

Good Luck!
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frater,

I'll check it out but it all seems so murky and unclear that I'm now looking at doing a MA in 12 months via correspondence and working part time until it's complete.

It's a real shame as I'd like to come back to the UK but it just seems there is such little support for post grad studies, except of course for those doing a PGCE.

Still open to ideas though!
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So annoyed so although this has been posted on another thread I thought I'd place it here for those who hadn't seen it and so maybe you will be aware of some of the repercussions of being out of the UK for more than 3 years!!!

Well I've was rejected by UNE for not having a BA so I'd returned to the original idea of heading back to the UK for a full time MA...until I read tonight that I am now considered an International Student!!!

Some posters had mentioned this could be the case with regards seeking benefit assistance from the Government but I didn't know it applied to the University Fees..This is what is found on all University Websites:

How is my Fee assessed?
If you are entering the University for the first time you will need to complete a Fee Assessment Form to determine your fee status i.e. your eligibility to be charged home tuition fees.

Who qualifies for home student status?
You may qualify for home fee status based on the following:

A. that you were settled in the United Kingdom within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971 on the relevant date (refer to UKCOSA manual/website); and
B. you have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands for a specified three year period preceding your course; and
C. that no part of the period of residence in (B) above was wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

For further information, details and exceptions visit UKCOSA or DfES:

www.ukcosa.org.uk
www.dfes.gov.uk
If you do not meet the criteria for classification as a �home� student you will be classed as an international student and charged the appropriate fee.

What the hell is that about??? It's disgusting..my MA fees have now jumped from 2900 to 6900 Great British Pounds!! What's so great about dat?
Bethan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, you will get NO financial help for doing an MA...
I was doing an MSc with an insultingly small amount of bursary as it was an NHS funded course (�152 per month... hardly enough to live on eh).
Career development loans are prob the best way to go, but you have to prove that the MA will lead to a job, i.e. that it's vocational. I applied for a career development loan but got turned down, the *beep*!!
Anyway, I left my MSc, partly due to lack of finances.. not to put you off or anything but with a family in tow, it's gonna be difficult. But I suppose nothing good comes without a bit of a sacrifice!! Confused
Good luck anyway
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good. I think you have found the same truth that others have found before you.

Bascially for people in our situation it is Distance Learning or nothing at all.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance learning is OK. Im doing it now thru Athabasca U.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: