Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Romania-be aware
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bebsi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Romanians are a strong and independent people, and they know how to make money Especially off of foreigners like us eh?

Maybe make money, yes. Do long-term businesss, no!!

Unfortunately, there's a segemnt of the Romanian population that thinks screwing people for short-term gain constitutes good business.

The joke that some call a tourist industry (which could be an earner to match Switzerland if only it were done properly) is a case in point. No one wants to invest in marketing, the hotels are mostly overpriced and grubby (some notable exceptions tho) with appalling service standards, and the general tourist infrastructure is sadly lacking. This is killing tourism, and so a country that could be very rich from tourism alone, remains one of Europe's poorest in terms of GDP.

Why? All because the people who "run" the tourist industry haven't got a goddam clue and only see the penny they can make today instead of tomorrow's pound. Not even Romanians are staying here for holidays now, many of them going to places such as...well, why should I advertise the competition, Romania has suffered enough!!

It's one of the greatest tragedies of our times. If Romania's tourism chiefs made it to "The Apprentice", Trump would fire them all in one go, in the first episode.

Much comes down to the unique communist legacy, and the notion that capitalism is about easy or free money. After 18 years, the penny still hasn't dropped. Maybe it did, but some shmeker caught it before it hit the ground!!!! Shocked
El

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do long-term businesss, no!!

Because its buried in their heart to make the short money, because that is all they care about right now. This philosophy is rampant throughout the world. Everyone wants their end now, their cut now, their time now, no one wants to think about the consequences of any actions on the future. As long as it has money attached to it NOW, they will always fall for the short term gain over any long term commitment, because they can't see next year or the next five years, all they can see is today, tomorrow, and maybe next week.

This must change in order to gain true financial long term stability. The world is in a such a shape to where people do not believe in next years hopes and dreams, all they think about is tomorrow, while some only think about today, while still others get stuck in yesterday.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's a segemnt of the Romanian population that thinks screwing people for short-term gain constitutes good business.

It's the gypsy in them Smile It goes back to the roots. Why wait for money next year, which is often a hope or dream if XYZ happens, when they can make money today because they can see A B and C going on? This will ultimately lead to instability, and a turn towards new rulers who will offer to bring them back from the abyss if only they will elect them. When the masses have free reign, they are easily swayed towards a meltdown, because it's always about ME, ME, ME, and what do I have today, and what will I have tomorrow can go to the devil. This shows that the youth of today are not properly trained in future development, and since it is those very youth who are running things or starting to, we have a serious problem in our future if we can't erase the slide towards the attitude of what can I have now..

Quote:
This is killing tourism, and so a country that could be very rich from tourism alone, remains one of Europe's poorest in terms of GDP.

Agreed Agreed Agreed....

Quote:

Not even Romanians are staying here for holidays now, many of them going to places such as...well, why should I advertise the competition, Romania has suffered enough!!

Barcelona Smile There I said it and I would say it again if I had too...

Quote:

It's one of the greatest tragedies of our times. If Romania's tourism chiefs made it to "The Apprentice", Trump would fire them all in one go, in the first episode.

However, we are not truly trying to just make a mini USA out of Romania are we? I would hate to see the USA take over Romania Smile

I don't know Bebsi, the USA has allot of problems that no one can now change, so, spreading western ideas and policies are not the greatest thing in every situation in my opinion. I think though that is because I am not truly approving of the USA and their rhetoric anymore. As for the business side to RO, I agree, you are most definitely right. There is allot that could be made better and isn't for some reason, well, many reasons.

Quote:
After 18 years, the penny still hasn't dropped. Maybe it did, but some shmeker caught it before it hit the ground!!

This is also true....

Great post Bebsi....

El
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: