Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help in trujillo!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_kojak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Help in trujillo! Reply with quote

So ive finally arrived in trujillo and it's a good time to be here because of the Marinera festival, but after trying for some time to get a room for the night, everything was booked becasue of the very same festival!

Can anyone recomend a place to me that will be cheaper? (I eventually did find a place at Hotel Peregrino, but its s/ 90 per night) It doesnt have to be near the center or anything...I just want a place to set myself up until i can find an apartment. (any help with that would also be greatly appreciated)

And lastly, does anyone in town want to get together for lunch, dinner, or drinks and help out a new guy in town?

Thanks!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try lookin on hotelz.com, you shouldn't pay mre than 30 soels
keepwalking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to weigh in late with this advice but I've been away.

Try Condor del Arce on Independencia, about half a block from the plaza. It's around 25 soles a night, private bathroom, cable TV. Ideal location.

If you fancy meeting up for a drink at some time, PM me or contact me via the Fleming website. I've been in Trujillo a while now and can point you in the right direction for work opps.

Hope you are sorted for a cheaper place to stay!

Hilary
nineisone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Conde del Arce as a good cheap place in Trujillo. I stayed there when I had first arrived in 06. Price was 30 soles a night. Ask for the room in the far back. Quieter than the communal rooms. Also a good spot to get a basic city map which they usually provide on check in.
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I don`t know if you have yet found a place, but there are plenty of homes renting out rooms for about 200 soles a month. Get La Industria on a Saturday to check out places to rent.

More than happy to meet up for drinks or a coffee or whatever to help a new kid out. Email me at Fleming. [email protected]

Rachel
_kojak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up not checking back here for a while sice I got sorted with a job and an apartment. Im working at El Britanico and it seems pretty good so far. It�s not nearly as organized as my last school, but it seems much more open to doing what I/we want to do.

Im definitely down for meeting up with you guys from Fleming, I�ll get in contact with you later...my time at the cabina is about to run out.
nineisone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck at Britanico. Next time you are cursing under your breath the low quality and amateur acting of the male vocalist on the audio teaching aids, it's me Very Happy . Couldn't help the dialogue, I was reading from a script.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:
Good luck at Britanico. Next time you are cursing under your breath the low quality and amateur acting of the male vocalist on the audio teaching aids, it's me Very Happy . Couldn't help the dialogue, I was reading from a script.

So besides Fleming, are there any good places to work at in Trujillo?
keepwalking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Cultural (used to be IPNA) looks after their staff in terms of training etc. It can seem a bit demanding - meetings, training sessions etc that are compulsory but not paid time - but if you are looking to develop as a teacher and be part of a suportive environment then it's the best institute in town. If you want complete freedom and irregular hours to fit in with the surfing, CIDUNT is the place to be.

Of course, Fleming remains the best place to be in Peru!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepwalking wrote:
Of course, Fleming remains the best place to be in Peru!

And probably the best paying in Trujillo
_kojak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, I dont know what they used to record those CD�s, but they are probably the worst quality that there could possibly be! No offense intended, because the voice isnt so bad, but the sound is all over the place! I�ll hardly be able to hear you and then the girls voice will almost blow the speakers!

UK Britanico is the complete opposite of my last job. For the past 2 years I was a manager at a very very structured institute in Korea (CDI... if anyone has worked out there, youve probably heard of it) that payed great, had very proffesional materials and a great staff backing me up. On the other hand, you have UK which is really so incredibly unorganized with shoddy material and very strange systems in place. But it�s actually kind of nice having total freedom for a bit (at least compared to CDI).

My students are great, however.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's typical of Peru, you make your own materials. I'd prefer a good book that I can use. I know people are into not following a book, but with tons of teaching hours and lots of classes and grading, I don't have the luxury to make my own materials.
nineisone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojak,

Never got to hear the finished audio product. Britanico used really poor equipment(cheap laptop with Bob Barker's 1970s microphone) plus I think they synched it wrong causing for the discrepancy in voices.

Having also taught in Korea, I can relate to your observations about the disorganization at the school in Trujillo. Hang in there, it isn't too bad once you find your rythym. I sort of learned to be independent and not depend on the school or staff to help or even give direction.

These are some of the challenges you face in L.A. compared with the far East which is filled with soft shoe, ready made classes with little need for prep. time and lots of support from the administration.

Hope you are enjoying Peru, the lifestyle usually makes up for other shortages. May need to PM you with a question/favor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: