Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

repost - "what I know about Bogot� and Colombia"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jyulee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: repost - "what I know about Bogot� and Colombia" Reply with quote

I posted this a while ago in the Latin America forum. For those that are interested, I cut and paste the repost here for you now!

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:05 pm Post subject: What I know about Bogot� & Colombia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there

A few months ago I was looking into moving to Bogot�, and tried a bit of internet research before arriving.

Although there was lots of helpful info here on Dave�s (and less, to be honest, on poorbuthappy.com), I found it rather scattered and often dated. Although I'm no expert on Colombia (I've only been here a few months), I though I'd share what I know/have experienced here so far for anyone that is interested - perhaps like someone who was in my position a few months ago.

BOGOT�

Is quite nice! As it is so high, the weather ranges from being quite hot when it is sunny to quite cold when it is cloudy. I don't think the temperature ever exceeds 25 or goes below 15 during the day. 5-day forecast from the BBC: (Max, Min, Wind, Visibility, Pressure, Humidity)

Quote:
Thursday - Sunny

Sunrise 05:46 ()
Sunset 17:54 (COT) 21�C 1�C 5 very poor 1023 39

Friday - Sunny

Sunrise 05:46 (COT)
Sunset 17:53 (COT) 21�C 6�C 5 very poor 1022 42

Saturday - Cloudy/Rainy

Sunrise 05:46 (COT)
Sunset 17:53 (COT) 18�C 9�C 4 very poor 1020 68

Sunday - Cloudy/Rainy

Sunrise 05:45 (COT)
Sunset 17:52 (COT) 18�C 3�C 4 poor 1019 65

Monday - Sunny

Sunrise 05:45 (COT)
Sunset 17:52 (COT) 21�C 7�C 3 very poor 1020 38

Roughly speaking, the further north you go, the richer, cleaner and safer the city becomes. There are nice views of mountains to the east, most of the buildings are low, and although the traffic is bad, it's not that bad. Mostly, Bogot� has a nice vibe to it. There are nice bars and restaurants, shopping centres, and every western amenity.

As there is no metro, public transport is buses, taxis and the Transmilenio. Buses are not easy to get the hang of - each one has a board in the front window with a confusing code on the front explaining the route...

(Cll62 K11 ANDINO Cll120, for example, would mean "I go down Calle 62, then down Carrera 11 to the Andino shopping centre until Calle 120...)

It, for me at least, is difficult to ascertain whether or not I need whichever bus before it has raced past me. I am assured one gets the hang of it eventually!

Opinion on taxis varies. There is a general consensus of opinion, however, that they are risky to some extent or another. What happens, you see, is that once you are inside, the taxi driver will let in two more people who stick a knife to your throat (or whatever). They then take you to a cash machine and rob you.

To counter this, many phone reputable taxi companies to get them to pick you up from home (this, apparently, rules out rogue taxi drivers). However, the "baddies" have radio interceptors and can get to your house before you, so it's still not completely safe.

Some say "don't take taxis ever", some say "phone for them first", some say "it's only dangerous at night time" and some say "don't worry you'll be fine!". I still haven't made my mind up.

Lastly, there is the Transmilenio, which has a metro style route and map, but is essentially a network of large and modern buses with their own exclusive bus lanes. It is fast(ish), cheap and easy.

Every Sunday morning half the roads in Bogot� are closed, and people come out en masse to cycle, jog, or walk around the city.

The "Bogotanos" (I can't remember what they are called now) are not exactly your stereotypical "hyper-friendly, always singing, always dancing, really really nice and sexy South Americans". If you are expecting guys with sombreros and guitars on every corner waiting to give the exotic foreigner free Mojitos, you'll be disappointed! Big City Syndrome works in Bogot� too, you won't be making friends on the street - and contrary to popular belief (well, in my opinion), not all the girls are pretty, and not all the guys are good-looking.

THE REST OF COLOMBIA

Medell�n seems nice, Cartagena is beautiful, Barranquilla is a bit of a dump, and Pereira and Armenia look okay. I've only made fleeting visits to these places, and so know nothing more!

JOBS AND VISAS

In Bogot�, it would appear that everyone and his dog wants English classes. It was in the newspapers last week that in order to get a degree at university all students must pass an English test to B2 standard (that's more or less Upper-Intermediate/Pre-Advanced, I think). This will come into effect in 2007. Less than half of undergrad students currently have this level of English, and less than half of the teachers.

The upper-middle class (with whom most foreigners will spend most of their time) are very open to globalisation (lots of sushi restaurants here) and Very Serious about either learning English and/or having their kids learn it.

So, you would think that there would be jobs galore. There are not.

The problem is the visa that is required - in order to hire a foreigner companies must pay a lot, jump through a lot of bureaucratic hurdles and commit themselves to a weighty contract. Most small language academies simply can't afford/don't want to do it. Thus, they stick with local teachers.

Some will take you on illegally, paying cash in hand. This has problems, beyond the obvious...

From the UK Foreign Office website...

Quote:
Our current understanding is that a British national may enter Colombia for up to 90 days as a visitor without a visa, but that there is no unconditional right to do so....As a visitor, you cannot remain in Colombia more than 180 days in any twelve-month period.. You should not outstay your visa.

So, for a Brit at least, you could come for 3 months, leave (to Ecuador normally), come back for another 3 months, then that's your lot for the year.

Once you have found an organisation that will sponsor your work visa, it isn't finished. You need your certification (degree, CELTA, DELTA, whatever) approved by a notary and apostilled by the Foreign Office in the UK. (Well, for Brits, of course! I imagine it's something similar in other countries). It would be easier if I had done this before coming...

You then need to go to the Colombian consulate in Quito to get the visa. My school paid for this.

There are, technically, a lot of people who want private classes. Private classes are notoriously shaky though. I have landed a good one (2 hours a day Mon-Fri). For this I charge CP$25,000 an hour (about �5). Hopefully this will continue for ever! To get these it helps to know some people here beforehand.

So where are the jobs? Where do the foreigners work? Legitimate work that pays well is not generally to be found in language academies (apart from the British Council) - most of it is English classes at universities, and at expensive bilingual schools. These pay well, you will immediately be (financially, at least) a firm part of the upper-middle class, with enough money for your own apartment and fun at the weekends.

Although I found my job by emailing the Director of an bilingual High School while I was in London, I am told it is generally better to arrive and hand out CVs in person.

Oh, and the Spanish in Bogot� is quite nice. All syllables are pronounced (unlike, say, in Andalucia!), and the accent is clear and easy. While Colombian Spanish has it's curiosities, on the whole it is not daunting.

None of the above is concrete, of course, I am welcome to corrections and additions!

Hopefully this is of some help and/or interest to someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: