Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Phuket help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Phuket help? Reply with quote

Reading these posts, I find lost of mixed attitudes towards teaching English in Thailand.. I have not done so myself, but I am looking for some insight, because I find myself seriously condering doing so. I am 18 years old, just graduated from high school and am TESOL certified. If I was to fly into Thailand, and make my way down to Phuket, on the Addaman Coast, how likely would it be that I could find a decent job where I could support my living (preferably in Phuket, or near by)? I don't plan to bank much money, but rather simply have my teaching pay for my living. Can someone tell me how easy or difficult it would be finding teaching position in the area of Phuket, with a TESOL certificate.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: you should have a degree Reply with quote

Without a university degree it will be fairly difficult to find full-time legal employment as a teacher in Thailand.
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very to beleive that the could fill all the jobs that are availible with university degree holders. We can barely fill up jopbs here in Canada with degree certified people, I don't think that they are too strict on that demand. I've heard from numerous sources that TESOL is more than enough to get hired almost anywhere in Thailand, whether it be legal or not, it's what almost everyone is doing there. So what I'm looking for is someone who is living there or who has been there recently to confirm if it is easy to find a teaching position (legal or illegal) in the southern parts of Thailand.
hagakuri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: OK OK Reply with quote

Here is the Skinny...

Yes, if the average person with a TESOL certificate were to come to Phuket during April / May to look for a teaching job, they would get hired. But you said a DECENT job. I doubt that it would be that. I know you dont want to bank money, thats good. Because Phuket is one of the more expensive places to live in Thailand. You will not have phat grip here ever! Best you will do is about 20,000 baht a month. Thats 500 dollars U.S. But thats the BEST. Like if you were to hit the lotto. More likely you could find one at about 15,000.

Rent is approx. 4,000 to 7,000 a month for a studio type hook up.

You have one thing working against you: your age. Being a teacher at 18 doesnt fly too good in Thailand. You see, in Thailand teachers have this respect thing going on. You know, they have more respect than doctors. So, being 18 .... well people will still think that you are a kid a have the (what could you know) type of attitude towards you.

However, eat this too: If you carry yourself well. Look a bit older, you are attractive or handsome.. all the above might not matter at all. This is Thailand and everyone that has lived there knows what this means.

Just get ready for plenty of travel, and to getting to know the Visa agents by first name.

Good luck!
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hagakuri, I appreicate your help. If anyone else could offer some insight towards their experiences teaching near Phuket, I'd love to hear it. Preferably good though Laughing because I've heard a lot of discouraging rants about how bad it is and I can honestly say that it is really killing a dream of mine for quite sometime.
ajarn

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If anyone else could offer some insight towards their experiences teaching near Phuket, I'd love to hear it. Preferably good though because I've heard a lot of discouraging rants about how bad it is and I can honestly say that it is really killing a dream of mine for quite sometime.

So what would you like , someone to serve up a lovely story of happiness living and teaching in Phuket.? So you can deny reality and keep the dream alive, something to reinforce the decision you have obviously already decided upon?

I know you are only 18 and that explains the innocent naievity of your post. I`m not having a go at you, it`s just I remember what I was like when I was 18 and I didn`t know my arse from my elbow. I lived and taught about 5 hours south of Phuket for a little over a year. It`s a lot quieter than Phuket, there are no bar girls to tell who how handsome you are. For the most part it was enjoyable and one of the best times of my life.

hagakuri is right about the teaching, without a degree and your age you`ll be looking at the bottom of the rung jobs. If you are interested in getting a Uni degree, why not do it, it will be worth your while. The girls will still be there when you are 22.

What is your motive for coming to Phuket to teach? Something tells me it involves regular visits to Patong beach, am I right?
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what would you like , someone to serve up a lovely story of happiness living and teaching in Phuket.? So you can deny reality and keep the dream alive, something to reinforce the decision you have obviously already decided upon?

You are very good at putting words in the mouth of someone you have never met. It has nothing to do with trying to get a subjective look at reality. It's just that I've heard all the bad stories, and I wanna hear some good ones. Because in REALITY (theres that word again), a person can have both bad and good experiences. Less intelligent people tend to have the worst time because they are not well enough prepared to find work. My hypothesis is that most of the schools base their hiring a great deal on image, so if I have a professional image, work shouldn't be too hard to find.
Peter McAlpine

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tkrawczyk

I used to live in Phuket for 8 years. I still work there sometimes. I've lived in Thailand since 1984.

There's more than one way to answer this. Hagakuri's advice is valid, I feel. If it's still the case, you'll need a degree to get a job in a university as an ELT teacher. Yes, your age MIGHT be a problem. However, none of us knows what you look like, so perhaps you look much more mature in terms of age.

If you have a dream, go for it. There will always be dozens of reasons why it can't be achieved, and there will always be people who will discourage you. But once you start to move towards your personal vision, things happen. Doors open that were either closed or weren't even there before. You meet people who offer to help, and so on.

Having said that, Phuket might not be a good place to start as the hotels there are very, very empty. Most guests there come from SARS affected countries, and they aren't travelling now. There might not be any jobs there at the moment. Contact the ECC school there to check. Bangkok would be a better place. But before you come, find out more about the situation at language schools. I'm afraid I don't know if the ELT business has been affected by the effect of SARS on tourism.

Here's an extract from a song for you:

I Believe I Can Fly
R B Kelly
[/u]

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I’m leaning on the everlasting arms

If I can see it
Then I can do it
If I just believe it
There’s nothin’ to it

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away

I believe I can soar
I see me runnin’ through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly, I believe I can fly, ooh

See, I was on the verge of breaking out
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me, ho, oh

If I can see it, ooh
Then I can be it
If I just believe it
There’s nothin’ to it

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away

I believe I can soar
I see me runnin’ through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly, oh, I believe I can fly, ooh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: