Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know about teaching Spanish in Egypt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
footprints

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know about teaching Spanish in Egypt? Reply with quote

Somewhat off-topic, I know. I can teach either ESL or Spanish, but I would prefer to teach Spanish. I was just wondering if anyone knew the job availability. Smile

Thanks.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very slim/almost non-existent chance of teaching Spanish in Egypt. The "official" American school, Cairo American College, teachers Spanish. This would be a highly coveted job for a qualified teacher who already has international experience.

If you are a qualified teacher (k-12) then there are many teaching opportunties. If you are a CELTA-holding ESL teacher with a few years experience there are some opportunities.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cervantes institute had a large branch in Cairo with a dozen teachers or so, all hired in Spain. I would say they have the market sewn up.
footprints

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I am a qualified teacher, k-12, with two years of experience teaching high school. I am almost done with my M.A. in linguistics. Is an M.A. as important in the Middle East if you are already a certified teacher? I was wondering if I should look for a job now or if I should wait until I have my M.A.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. If you want to teach K-12, it is certification by your home country that they want. An MA would be superfluous.

If you want to teach university, then you need the MA - in hand - to get the top tier jobs.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: