Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any suggestions for 5* Inat'l Health Insurance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orange U?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Any suggestions for 5* Inat'l Health Insurance? Reply with quote

A colleague of mine in his mid fifties recently died, in my estimation, from underinsurance: Insurance cover provided by his employer maxed out well short of $100,000USD - an amount insufficient, in our country of residence, to cover an operation he needed. He lived about another six weeks. Rudely reminded of my own mortality, I started shopping around for a strong International Health Insurance Plan.

I'd be interested in hearing others' experience. What have you done? What have you learned?

Here's what I've found so far:

Exclusions abound. I've recently been approved for a health plan from IMG and, after reading the contract, I'm relieved that there's a 15 day period during which I can cancel the policy without taking a big financial hit. Meanwhile, I've continued shopping.

IHI out of Denmark seems to offer some very expensive platinum plans. Unlike IMG, they have no residencey requirement (IMG requires the insured to plan to live outside the US for at least six months of the year), and they guarantee reinsurability, so the policy is completely portable. While their policy is (at least) almost twice as expensive as the IMG policy, their contract is a lot more straightforward than IMG's: it seems likely, in the absence of the large number of loopholes I've seen in other contracts, that IHI will actually pay more in the unpleasant eventuality that I need the medical cover.

The only other strong candidate I've run across so far is a group plan offered through American Citizens Abroad (aca.ch). I'm still making early inquiries (and now they're shut down for the next week due to the holidays), but the terms of their group plan sound like a slightly watered down version of the IMG plan ... and it costs about a hundred dollars a year more than the IMG plan I have already been approved for.

I have also already visited TESOL.org and attempted to find info about international cover through the company that offers TESOL's group plan (which is restricted to US residents, btw). Having requested information from that company, I'm still waiting for a reply.

==== ==== === ===== ====

I'd appreciate hearing what any of you have learned on this topic, especially if you can suggest any alternatives I have overlooked. Thanks.

Orange U?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

The ceiling you talk about is pretty high.

I have cover through MedNet (Saudi National Insurance Company). Maximum is 300,000 Saudi Riyals, for which I currently pay 205 SR a month.

MedNet is KSA 800 244 5511 extension 32 or 33.

In the past I used a UK-based Friendly Society : Exeter Friendly. They seemed good but you may be looking for a US-based firm.
Orange U?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, companies in the states and elsewhere are fleeing the personal insurance industry (as opposed to the group insurance industry).

I'm not so concerned about having a US-based company as I am having a policy that (1) is good worldwide and (2) is independent of my current job: I don't want to lose employment and insurance cover at the same time.

An unfortunate truth about the current state of personal health insurance (at least in the US): Based on my research over the last weeks, it is now common practice for companies to dump the insured if they start claiming against their policy.

I'm looking for exceptions, and plan to check on the UK company you suggest.

Again, Thanks

Wishing you a healthy new year

Orange U?
rana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Van Breda / Belgium Reply with quote

my husband works at AUC, Cairo, Egypt and we have Van Breda. It is good, we have coverage worldwide. I am not sure what the cap is though. Though I know that people are always flying to the USA for heart surgery and hip replacements and this has affected the cost of our insurance.

check it out and let us know what you find if you do Smile
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking for a good insurance policy bit in particular for Egypt.
Rana, you mentioned Van Breda? Do you have any contact details for them as I tried a web search but didn't get anywhere?

Many thanks!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: exeter Reply with quote

I have used EXETER FRIENDLY which is a UK-based mutual society (IE it belongs to the members who take out cover).
rana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: J. Van Breda & Co. Int'l Reply with quote

customer service email

[email protected]
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot & Rana:

Thanks for your input!
inscrutable

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.int.vanbreda.be/
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: mednet Reply with quote

I just had major surgery which was paid for by Mednet - after a few hiccups.

I really think adequate medical cover is a must - especially when you are a wrinkly like me.

I shudder when I think about previous deals I have had in the Middle East where I had no medical cover. In Saudi they are working on making insurance obligatory for foreigners. There have been cases of foreigners here being refused treatment at government hospitals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: