Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching North American Slang?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did teach a class on the words they WILL NOT use - based on the famous seven words. I told them what they mean and how they were usually used. I explained that they knew bad words in Chinese even if they never used them.

They need to know the what is unacceptable in English and they will hear the words - in movies if nowhere else. The emotional baggage of obscenity is learned in childhood. No L2 English speaker will understand the emotional difference between 'f*ck' and 'making love'. It's easier to say if you NEVER use 'f*ck', you'll never go wrong.
sprightly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha sherri... my first year in korea, we used to go to a restaurant called, "oh my God! (mexican food) "

which was exactly what the local expat crowd would say whenever they ate there. (sadly, the shop was killed by the price of cheddar and tequila.)

i rarely teach taboo words unless they come up. i also don't teach slang-of the moment, because it changes so fast--sometimes i don't even know what it is.
i do teach idiomatic phrasal verbs; i think those are used and manipulated so often in english, but are not logical.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprightly, what part of Eastern Canada are you in? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: