Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice about trujillo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattelliot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Need advice about trujillo Reply with quote

Hi, I am a university graduate from England(I'm British and have been teaching myself Spanish for just over 1 month) and have decided that i do not wish to pursue my career in that degree.. i wish to teach English in Trujillo and i was wandering if anyone had any advice?

I am coming to Trujillo in July for 1 month i will be passing CV to as many schools/universities/colleges as i can find (and coming back to Trujillo again later in the year to hopefully stay). But currently i do not have a TEFL qualification (i will be taking this either just before i come in July or before i come to stay in Trujillo)

what are my chances of becoming an English teacher in Trujillo with a TEFL qualification with possibly 1 month experience through placement in Spain? i am fluent in English.

I was also wandering, what do english teachers do about summer hollidays? are you still able make a living?

If anyone would like to meet up with me during July/August in Trujillo, i would greatly appreciate a chat and help/advice/cup of tea Smile just pm me Smile

Thanks,
Matt
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently working at Fleming College and El Cultural. Fleming will be hiring for next year around October, but El Cultural is a language institute and is always hiring.

The director is Martha Perez. If you are a native speaker, they are invariably interested in you.

There are various other language institutes around town too. Universities I imagine hire around October too.

You could also find privates reasonably easily too.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleming is the best place to work at. Schools give paid vacations, unlike insitutes and unis.

TEFL quals aren't as important as your BA and the fact that you're a native speaker.

If you're at an institute or uni, you'll work during your summer holiday. Intensive classes during that time are the norm.

Try also PMing keepwalking, she's at Fleming as well as Luna Chica.
keepwalking

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm-up Sharon!

Fleming is a good place to work because the hours are regular, you get to have the same classes over a year so you build up a relationship and you get paid holidays.

You will need a minimum of TEFL to get an interview at Fleming. We'd prefer experience as well but outstanding teachers have to start somewhere and we take people with potential even if their experience is a little lacking.

One friendly word of advice. When you apply anywhere, check your spelling and punctuation, especially use of capital letters for I. I automatically bin any applications with spelling errors - if you can't do it in an application letter, you can't do it in the classroom either is my theory. Obviously message boards like this are a little different but I'd appeal to anyone reading this to please check any letters you send out!

My personal favourite application letter was 'hi, i'm in peru. give us a job. PS I like kids' Needless to say that person is now teaching elsewhere!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: