Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Semarang,Indonesia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychedelic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Looking for Semarang,Indonesia Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone tell me where Semarang is? I looked on a map of Indonesia and couldn't find it.

Thank you! Cool
leeroy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North coast of Java, somewhere in the middle between Jakarta and Surabaya.

If you can find Yogyakarta (yogya) or Surakarta (solo), then it's a couple of inches above those Smile.
psychedelic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeroy,
Thank you!
Joachim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychadelic,

Please be warned that Semarang is a hole with very little to offer, apart from filth, insects, boredom, low pay, unrelenting heat and the contant feeling of being watched,

Also please don't consider a position at Study World. Please read my posts on the Job information Journal for more info about that!

J
psychedelic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Looking for Semarang,Indonesia Reply with quote

Greetings Joachim,
Thank you for the message! "the constant feeling of being watched." ? Can you explain more fully please?

Ciao!
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Semarang,Indonesia Reply with quote

psychedelic wrote:
Thank you for the message! "the constant feeling of being watched." ? Can you explain more fully please? Ciao!

What - like all the other things aren't enough to scare you off?? Wink

I suspect what the poster means is that as one of the few non-Indonesians there, you'll be gawked at constantly by the locals.
Joachim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct. You will constantly be stared at by the locals, who will also frequently follow you around, throw things, totally disrespect your privacy and even give you obscene gestures or spit at your feet.

If you do want to go to Indonesia, which is a wonderful country with lots to offer, then I would advise you to go to Yogyakarta or maybe Bali

J
willy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studyworld has an ad up 5+ times a year.
i think that says it all
phis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good point Willy. But you have to be a little careful here.

A school that is advertising 5 times plus, spaced out over a year, is indeed something to watch out for. But if the ads appear quite close together, 2 or 3 ads over a 6 week to 2 month period, this could just mean they are looking for the right person/s for the job. We have had to do this at our school in the past, because we didn't want to spoil the dynamics of a happy team by rushing into a decision and employing applicants that we weren't totally happy with.

On the subject of Studyworld, I have already said enough in previous posts. Who knows, maybe they have managed to turn it around, and things are now better. I would prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and leave it alone, unless we hear something to the contrary from more recent employees of the school.

The past is the past. Let's leave it there and move on.
Joachim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila, in theory I agree with you - I have heard from a number of sources that Study World is under new management and that changes have been made in the way things are run, in fact the have even changed locations.

But if things really had changed, I don't think the Academic co-ordinator would be writing to me, lying and then asking me to reconsider my comments on this site.

So my advice about StudyWorld would still be, beware.
phis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got an e.mail from the AC of Studyworld some time ago, who was on the verge of leaving because he was so unhappy. He actually apologised for trying to discredit my previous comments about the school. However, he still seems to be there, which is the reason why I think that maybe things have in fact turned around.

By the way, I also got your e.mail and have taken on board all your comments. As I said, the past is the past - let's move on.
phis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"On the subject of Studyworld...........maybe they have managed to turn it around, and things are now better. I would prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and leave it alone, unless we hear something to the contrary from more recent employees of the school."

Further to my previous post, the DOS of Studyworld has posted a letter on the Job Information Forum, which seems to support the fact that the school has in fact been turned around.

Congratulations. It's great when this happens. There are a lot of negatives to the job of DOS but it's great when you can see the results of all your hard work.
guruengerish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: late reply to about Semarang Reply with quote

Did you get everything you wanted regarding Semarang? There is another Engish school there, English First, and owned by the same scrooge who runs EF Yogya and Solo and has interests in North Jakarta.

Nice buildings, great students, but pathetic salary and conditions.

Yogya is a great place, but the salary is also about 40% of some Surabaya schools and no housing asistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: