Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in a sydney elicos centre : teachers experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherwilltravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Teaching in a sydney elicos centre : teachers experiences Reply with quote

any comments?

Last edited by teacherwilltravel on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johanna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Sydney Elicos experience Reply with quote

I worked teaching in a Sydney Elicos centre 2001-2003 but I had worked there previously in administration so I may have had a different experience than others - it was all good.

I had a part time contract for three days a week - all that I wanted and the school was great. The teaching staff was mostly staff or on contracts, except for the working holiday visa holders who were used to fill up in Summer and groups season. There was an active teacher education program. We were all paid according to the NEAS award and the students were awesome - back in the day of lots of Brazilians!

I know that there have been lots of changes since then - ownership changed and the whole student market has changed. They were probably the golden days.

These days I mostly work at a University based language centre. Very different to the Elicos work but I'm different now too - much more serious.

But I think that's also due to a move to Adelaide. We don't get many students on tourist visas or working holiday visas. It's much more about diplomas, degrees and migration than fun.

Hope this helps.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sydney Elicos experience Reply with quote

What qualifications did you have to get that job.

Johanna wrote:
I worked teaching in a Sydney Elicos centre 2001-2003 but I had worked there previously in administration so I may have had a different experience than others - it was all good.

I had a part time contract for three days a week - all that I wanted and the school was great. The teaching staff was mostly staff or on contracts, except for the working holiday visa holders who were used to fill up in Summer and groups season. There was an active teacher education program. We were all paid according to the NEAS award and the students were awesome - back in the day of lots of Brazilians!

I know that there have been lots of changes since then - ownership changed and the whole student market has changed. They were probably the golden days.

These days I mostly work at a University based language centre. Very different to the Elicos work but I'm different now too - much more serious.

But I think that's also due to a move to Adelaide. We don't get many students on tourist visas or working holiday visas. It's much more about diplomas, degrees and migration than fun.

Hope this helps.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in several and am working in one right now. It's easy to get a job and earn enough to live on if you are a good teacher. Unfortunately, all the work is casual (paid by the hour) but since the schools only close for two weeks at Christmas, it doesn't matter so much. Many will hire UK teachers on WHVisas.

The school is important. I love the one I'm working at currently and will be VERY sorry to leave it when I go overseas to teach in a month or two.

My colleagues and students are all fantastic. The mix of my school is 40% Brazilian, 20% Peruvian or Colombian , 20% Chinese (mostly planning to go to high school) and a smattering of Eastern Europeans and Koreans. This mix varies greatly from school to school. It makes for a fun day, every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: