Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kuwait Uni are Advertising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Kuwait Uni are Advertising Reply with quote

Kuwait Uni have advertised for EFL teachers for their "Allied Health and Nursing" (or something like that) section.

Pay seemed a bit on the low side: just over $2000 at the top end of the scale. Plus, they only promised to provide "low cost" - not free - medical care.

Anyone with more inside info care to comment?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo

I remember being quite shocked when I had to pay for all my required medical tests there (months before arrival of any kind of salary from them, of course). Not to mention paying for my work visa too --- only place I ever had to do that.

BTW, you would be at the lower end of their salary scale as they only count experience AFTER your MA and that would put you under US$2000.

Since this job is with Allied Health, you do have the advantage of contacts with the College of Medicine. There are some good doctors and once there I paid for little or nothing. Most prescriptions were covered - except for expensive new drugs. Some tests are covered, some are not. I guess what it comes down to is that the everday things were free, but if you develop something expensive and exotic, you either pay or go home.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

I remember being quite shocked when I had to pay for all my required medical tests there (months before arrival of any kind of salary from them, of course). Not to mention paying for my work visa too --- only place I ever had to do that.

You did?? I'm amazed. They didn't ask me to pay for any of that, and I was, what, only six or eight months ahead of you? How wierd. But, then, wierd *IS* the name of the game.... Smile

That must have been the beginning of whatever led to the elimination of the social allowance.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Bindair,

Yessiree, every time I turned around they wanted 10 KD for a cute little stamp. I can't remember what they charged me for the visa - for some reason 25 KD sticks in my mind.

Between that and the new driver that we were assigned to take us for the tests who had been in Kuwait for 2 days and spoke neither English nor Arabic ----

It was all downhill from this high point as you recall. Smile

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: