Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Cheap Flights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Looking for Cheap Flights Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking for cheap flights from Rome to Tel Aviv. Anyone able to suggest good websites/airlines I might try? I'm running out of patience, everything looks very expensive or is only return. The cheapest quote I've found so far is GBP300. Maybe this is as good as it gets?

Anyone crossed the border from Syria into Turkey over land? If so, where/how was it?

Cheers,
Ash

Last edited by ash on Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like a question for Lonely Planet Thorn Tree...

VS
ash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've asked there too.

I've sinced sussed out flights, visa questions & worked out an itinerary so I think it's all good. For anyone else after this kind of info, there are a couple of good threads on the Thorn Tree LP forum:
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
basiltherat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone crossed the border from Syria into Turkey over land?

while not having done the crossing myself, it seems there is a regular coach route across. damascus-istanbul and a variety of other turkish destinations are frequently advertised and many are regularly scheduled services. as such, there are unlikely to be any major obstacles or for that matter, any obstacles at all. a trainee of mine has just returned from istanbul by coach and didnt mention anything about the crossing so ... no news is good news.
regards
basil Smile
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone crossed the border from Syria into Turkey over land?
Yes. Illegally with a sheep smuggler. Long story.
ash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Basil & DMB. So DMB, I take it there were no hiccups & you came out with a great supply of wool?

Here is my latest plan (hey, someone's gotta keep the Israel forum alive!)

I've decided to buy a one-way ticket into Amman, Jordan, and a ticket out of Istanbul.
We will travel overland from Amman into Jerusalem via the King Hussein Bridge.
In this way, we will have evidence that we have arrived in the ME via Jordan, not Israel. We will get our Israeli stamps on the magical invisible 'piece of paper', both on our way in & out. We will then head from Jordan to Syria, Syria to Lebanon, back to Syria & on to Turkey. From Turkey, we will have an onward ticket, thus satisfying the requirements of Israeli authorities.

How does that sound?

While we're (slightly) off-topic: Is it possible to cross from Lebanon direct into Turkey? Maybe I should ask this question somewhere else too...
basiltherat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lebanon and turkey do not share a common border but its still easy to cross between syria and lebanon and vice versa.
lebanon direct to turkey wud involve a flight or - by boat but im not sure whether the boat goes direct to turkey or whether you have to 'change' in cyprus. i'll ask if you wish.
regards
basil
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whether you have to 'change' in cyprus.
If there is you would have to arrive in the Greek side then travel to Northern Cyprus to get the boat to Turkey.
ash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Then I'd have that whole difficult thing of crossing from the Greek side to the Turkish side, which is still difficult isn't it?

Thanks Basil, it's ok, I think we'll just go back into Syria & head to Turkey from there as per "the plan". So I take it you think my plan will work? Good. Lets just hope none of the border authorities are watching this forum...
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I'd have that whole difficult thing of crossing from the Greek side to the Turkish side, which is still difficult isn't it?
No, its very easy. Up until a few years ago you couldn't cross the other way round but I believe now you can go over for the day.
joe-joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Here's my penneth, (or cents) worth. I arrived at Ben Gurion Airport from Turkey, and they wouldn't stamp any 'invisible' pieces of paper. They stamped my passport, and consequently I had to replace my passport before I arrived for work in Egypt this year. I couldn't have got a work permit with Israeli visa stamps. Also be prepared for the grilling of your life when arriving in Jerusalem from Jordan. Israeli border security can be very 'thorough' when you arrive from Arab countries. Anyway good luck with your plans
chris.m

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also suffered the "grilling of my life" at the hands of the aforementioned. Left feeling like a terrorist suspect.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed through a US airport lately? Not much different if one has too many Middle East stamps in the passport... and I'm talking about American expat teachers who get hassled during summer leave flights.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Israel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: