Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions, questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Questions, questions Reply with quote

I am planning to look for a teaching job in Indonesia later this year - preferably somewhere like Bandung, Bogor or Yogya.

I'd be grateful if any current expats could help point me in the right direction on a couple of issues. Firstly, I am mad keen on motorbikes with a full UK/EU bike and car licence. Am I entitled to ride in Indonesia? I do have some idea of the hazards posed by local drivers already...

I understand that it is possible to open a dollar (or even Euro?) bank account in Indonesia - how easy or practical is this?

Finally, I speak reasonable Bahasa Malaysia so have few problems actually reading Bahasa Indo. but is my spoken Malay likely to be understood easily?

Very grateful for any advice you guys can offer.
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions, questions Reply with quote

gugelhupf wrote:
I am planning to look for a teaching job in Indonesia later this year - preferably somewhere like Bandung, Bogor or Yogya.
I am mad keen on motorbikes with a full UK/EU bike and car licence. Am I entitled to ride in Indonesia? I do have some idea of the hazards posed by local drivers already...
I understand that it is possible to open a dollar (or even Euro?) bank account in Indonesia - how easy or practical is this?
Finally, I speak reasonable Bahasa Malaysia so have few problems actually reading Bahasa Indo. but is my spoken Malay likely to be understood easily?

1) Once you have a KITAS (foreigner with permission to work) card, getting a motorcycle licence is easy. You may have to find yourself an 'agent' to help you though - and expect to pay something like 150,000 to 250,000 Rp...

2) Again, once you have a KITAS, no problem.

3) The languages are virtually identical. If you can speak decent Malay you should have no problem communicating in Indo.
guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 cc is the biggest beast you can ride in Indonesia. You can't ride on tollways! You are allowed to go thru red lights, ride on the wrong side on the road, not use lights at night, you don't have to indicate when turning and you can turn anywhere....if you are a local. remember that if anyone crashes into you, you are at fault because you are a westerner. It's more enjoyable riding a bike out of Jabotabek then in.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, Believe me Guru I will be wearing a decent skid lid and some (well ventilated) body armour to ride! Bit of a disappointment about the 200cc limit, however, but there again think what carnage the local boy-racers could inflict with a 900cc superbike.
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gugelhupf wrote:
Ha ha, Believe me Guru I will be wearing a decent skid lid and some (well ventilated) body armour to ride! Bit of a disappointment about the 200cc limit, however, but there again think what carnage the local boy-racers could inflict with a 900cc superbike.

The reason it's near impossible to get a larger bike is because no one really needs it: the roads are so bad and the traffic so snarled and chaotic that anything bigger than a 125cc is a waste...
Winmar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where you live. I had a 125cc bike in Bandung, which was fine around town. However, it was a real pain in the botty when riding in the hills north of the city. How I wished for a 200cc then! I never actually got around to getting a SIM, but only got fined once. I've got an Australian bike licence now though.

You should be fine with your Malay. There are vocab differences, but it shouldn't take you too long to find out what they are and adapt accordingly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: